Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Watch only charges to 99%

Got my watch Friday. 42mm Sport. Each night I have charged for about 7 hours and every morning it shows 99%, not 100. The charge is good and I'm usually still at 30%+ at bed time, so not a big deal, but unusual. in the Watch app on iPhone, under General/Usage when I check time since last charge it is blank and says usage times will be shown after Apple watch is fully charged.

Anyone else have this issue? Suggestions?

Apple Watch, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 6:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 6:21 PM

Modern devices with a battery (iPhones included) are intelligent with charging and stop charging when the battery is full. Since the power supply of the adapter will be switched off at that point, your battery will start to slowly discharge just like when it would be unplugged. To avoid wearing down the battery by continuously "topping off" the battery after such a discharge while still being connected, it will not resume charging automatically until a certain threshold for discharging has been met.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2015 6:21 PM in response to MikeKU2

Modern devices with a battery (iPhones included) are intelligent with charging and stop charging when the battery is full. Since the power supply of the adapter will be switched off at that point, your battery will start to slowly discharge just like when it would be unplugged. To avoid wearing down the battery by continuously "topping off" the battery after such a discharge while still being connected, it will not resume charging automatically until a certain threshold for discharging has been met.

Jul 2, 2015 12:07 AM in response to MikeKU2

Same here. I logged a ticket. i think it's a software glitch as no other devices from Apple do this. I found if does hit 100 some times I now have my watch on a timer charger (the plug) which generally helps. I just. Charge for 2 hours only...But I've found resetting/restarting and then removing from charger and putting back on a couple of times seems to get 100 percent. I think it does shut-off charging until a threshold reached I'd say but as I go to bed with around 40 percent left it's OK.

Watch only charges to 99%

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.