Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does Photos say I've got way more photos than I've actually got?

My new Photos app says I've got 10,386 photos and 630 videos and in old iPhoto I probably wouldn't have had a quarter of that.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 7:07 PM

8 replies

Apr 27, 2015 11:34 PM in response to Yer_Man

Thank you for weighing in, Terry, but with the greatest respect, what more can I tell you?

I upgraded to Yosemite OS X 10.10.3 and got the new Photos app automatically; it automatically put my photos in there from iPhoto but the figure says I've got about three times as many as I actually have. Is it, perhaps counting the old iPhoto library, which I understand isn't simply a duplicated set, as well?

(Problem is, I keep getting the pop-up suggestions to put all my photos on iCloud but they won't all fit without buying more space, which I would be more than willing to do and no doubt will eventually.)

Don't get me wrong. I love Apple and Macs and iPads and iPhones and my family has a few gizmos.

Apr 27, 2015 11:37 PM in response to Union

The Photos and the iPhoto Libraries are not duplicated. In essence they both point to the same actual photos.

In Photos, what do you see? Do you see triplet copies?

What out iPhoto? Same question.

(If you need to update iPhoto:

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

Apr 27, 2015 11:53 PM in response to Yer_Man

No I just see my photos (in the nice new Photos app) and the figure at the bottom.

I just looked iPhoto, though. Surprised to see it's still available. Shocked to see it says I've got about that amount of photos too! I simply just don't have that many photos! Something odd is going on.

I don't want to wast anyone's time an thank you very much. I'll check it all out photo by photo and and get to the bottom of it. Unless there's another explanation anyone knows. I am not going to put 10,000 photos on iCloud

Apr 30, 2015 12:51 AM in response to Union

Terry Devlin and anyone else,

I have purchased a great app named PhotoSweeper that is helping me identify and get rid of duplicates.

However I am still absolutely perplexed about why I have so many dupes of so many photos without any rhyme or reason. It is inconvenient, a waste of time and stupid.

Can anyone suggest anything? Terry, If you can help me further I'll definitely forgive the arrogance in your first post here

Why does Photos say I've got way more photos than I've actually got?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.