Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows/Android dad, Apple daughter

So, I'm a Windows/Android guy. I don't own a single Apple device of any kind. For my daughter, the opposite is true. Recently, she hit her complemntary iCloud storage limit. I saw something about Family Sharing and attempted to set it up. At this point, I'm fairly certain it's not possible, but I'm so taken back, I have to ask. Is there truly no way to host/lead/etc. a Family Sharing configuration without an Apple device? I'm a little bewildered that this is very much seeming like the reality of the situation. Someone, anyone, please tell me I'm wrong!

iCloud-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 7:47 PM

6 replies

Apr 27, 2015 8:00 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks, but I'm not exactly sure of what's being implied. That said, I'll sharpen my point.

I downloaded iCloud for Windows. When I attempt to log in with my Apple ID, I receive the following message:

This Apple ID is valid but is not an iCloud account.

While researching that error, I kept getting pointed back to the fact that in order to set up Family Sharing (see Start a Family Group in this article), I need an Apple device of some kind. So, that leads me back to my question. If I want to set up Family Sharing and be the 'leader of the pack', can I do so *without* an Apple device? I appreciate any help, but a simple yes/no (from anyone that knows for sure) would be most appreciated.

Apr 27, 2015 8:09 PM in response to thisisfauxlife

As the article states clearly you need an iDevice and an iTunes account. If you log into the iTunes Store with your Apple ID you will be able to create an account. But without using an iDevice you cannot get started. Of course your daughter could but that is not what you want to do. You can trade in one of your devices on an iDevice to solve the problem. Sometimes there is a price to pay to become "leader of the pack." 😁

Apr 27, 2015 8:21 PM in response to thisisfauxlife

Apple wants to sell their products. Making it easy for a non--Apple user to make use of Apple software without an Apple product isn't a very successful strategy. Each iPhone someone buys makes that person a potential customer for an Apple computer. iPhone sales are skyrocketing, and oddly enough so are the sales of Macs. Lots of users don't want to admit it, but this is a Steve Jobs legacy - suck as much money out of a customer's pocket as possible by creating a product monopoly. For many, many years this worked pretty well for AT&T. 😀

Of course if you buy her an Android you are doing the same thing for Microsoft and Google.

Apr 27, 2015 9:09 PM in response to Kappy

Trust me, I get it, but this one particular angle seems odd. At the end of the day, monopolistic entities or not, other companies will have their presence and a total failure to recognize that, especially in 'fair cases' (situations where someone understandably my want to participate in the system, though not be a part of that system themselves -- mind you, I'm willing to be a customer, I just don't want to be strong-armed into some deal that goes far beyond my intention), is not good business in the long run.

Now, to be totally clear, I'm not trying to give Apple business advice. It seems like they're doing fine and honestly, by and large I can care less as I'm happy with where I'm at. It's just that in the end, this particular case, including your explanation, ultimately makes no sense in a read world application; better said, it's not very reasonable from the standpoint of acknowledging the actual dynamic of a family. For that matter, here's one better: it doesn't entice me to buy an Apple product. Instead, it does the reverse -- think about it. Perhaps if I could start an account and achieve my minor goal, I could see the glorious light and join the cult, but if I can't, well, I walk away feeling estranged and certainly not aware of the potential that could have been.

It's one thing to have a successful strategy for business. It's another to twist arms. (Which, by the way, I think is more your opinion than objective fact -- this would appear to be more like an oversight than a plan considering that I have my wallet open right now. Are you listening Apple?)

And I'm not sure how this is missed among us, but your latter statement isn't totally true in the spirit of this thread. I mean, at the end of the day we're talking about system liberation here. Say what you will about Microsoft and Google, but many folks see that as one of their virtues: they're not a walled garden. Right now, I need options and that's basically what Microsoft and Google sells in comparison to Apple, and that's one of the numerous reasons why I own their systems and devices and not Apple's.

Please don't forget to click 'This helped me' on this post. 😁

Windows/Android dad, Apple daughter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.