Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iTunes update erased my hard drive

I received a notification last night to update iTunes and some latest security updates on my Macbook Pro Mid 2012. The installation required to restart the computer which I did before I went to sleep. I woke up this morning and find my computer asking me to enter a security code pin.I entered the 4 digit code and the OS X Utilities screen pop up.I clicked on Disk Utility and noticed that the whole hard drive space was available. I had tons of music programs installed on my laptop as issued to me by the school while enrolled in a recording engineering program since 2013.I turned off the computer and checked my email to find a message from "noreply@insideicloud.icloud.com" saying that all data on my computer was permanently erased at 2:04am.Here's a copy of the message...

Polo's Macbook Pro i7 M12 is being erased.
The erase of Polo's Macbook Pro i7 M12 started at 2:04 AM on April 27, 2015. All data will be permanently erased. This process may take several hours, depending on your hard drive size.
If you recover your Mac, unlock it using the passcode you created when you erased your Mac.
Use Find My iPhone on an iOS device or visit icloud.com/find on a Mac or PC to take additional action.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), Mid 2012 Model

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 10:13 PM

2 replies

Apr 28, 2015 9:43 AM in response to polodadon

I don't know about the email but the erase could be real if somebody managed to steal or hack your AppleID and password and wanted to play a mean trick. Another helper on this forum pointed me to this web site:

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/how_to_wipe_a_mac_remotely_with_icloud_an d_get_the_data_back

E-mails are easy to fake but if you really were looking at those other messages on your computer (not something in a web page) the wipe could be real. Read the article. The bottom line is, does your computer now only boot to the rescue partition? Do you have a backup?

New iTunes update erased my hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.