Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphoto library needs to be reorganized!

I am using iphoto 9.6.1 on macbook running Yosemite. My iphoto library contains another iphoto library as a subfolder. In that iphoto library using the 'show package contents' command I find 2 more iphoto libraries, one called library.iphoto and the other library6.iphoto. Everything works fine in iphoto but when I export the photos to 'photo' the subfolders picture are not included in the export. They contain about 1/3 of my photos. Can I shift the contents of those libraries into the main folder? I read that messing with the library can be a bad thing. Any suggestions? thanks

MacBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Mac book intel duo

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 9:34 PM

6 replies

Apr 27, 2015 9:49 PM in response to ginasdad

Your post does not compute

First you should not be going inside the iphoto library - there are no user serviceable parts in it

library6.iPhoto is a support file to the iphoto library - it is not an iPhoto library - an library.iPhoto is not a library either

And this is not clear

Everything works fine in iphoto but when I export the photos to 'photo' the subfolders picture are not included in the export. They contain about 1/3 of my photos.

You do not "export" photos to Photos

What exact steps are you doing and what are the exact results?

LM

Apr 27, 2015 10:49 PM in response to LarryHN

Thanks for the help. I tried to import my photos from iphoto to photo and got 2200 of 3200 pictures. That is when I looked inside the iphoto library to see if I could establish where the missing photos were. This is what I see:

User uploaded file

When I use show package contents I see this

User uploaded file

I have no idea why I can't import my pictures to 'photos' but photos that are missing are in the years contained in the originals file. It seems that they are not being recognized in the import process. Any ideas to get them imported? thanks

Apr 27, 2015 11:03 PM in response to ginasdad

This is library hat has been updated from earlier version. Note the little arrow on the bottom of the Originals folder? That means it's an alias and that resolves to the Masters folder.

I would rebuild the Library with iPhoto Library Manager, and try migrate that to Photos.

Download iPhoto Library Managerand use its rebuild function. (In early versions of Library Manager it's the File -> Rebuild command. In later versions it's under the Library menu.)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Note: you do not import the iPhoto Library to Photos. You simply open it:

Hold down the option (or alt) key key and launch Photos. From the resulting menu select 'Choose Library'

Iphoto library needs to be reorganized!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.