Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot view photos in media sidebar

I am currently using MacOSX 10.6.8 with iPhoto 9.2.3

For some time now I have not been able to view my iPhoto albums e.g. photo files through the Open/Select Finder when viewing the Media tab. It only show the "Place" album and Photo Booth and nothing else. The problem is that I cannot upload photo files to my e-mails, website etc. using the Media tab. My iPhoto library is on an external drive. I have already tried several options, one being deleting the preference files from sidebar preference. Unfortunately nothing has worked. Thanks in advance!

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 7:19 PM

12 replies

Apr 28, 2015 10:48 AM in response to pjfl29

NTFS compressed connected via USB directly.

There's your problem. An iPhoto Library must be on a volume formatted OS X Extended (journaled). It's not designed to work correctly on any other formatted volume and will eventually crash and corrupt the library. You've been lucky so far but can't rely on it continuning to work OK without problems.

User uploaded file

May 29, 2015 10:11 AM in response to LarryHN

Yes. Media browser is what I meant. Therefore, in any program when I go to view "Pictures" in the media browser to upload a photo it still does not show my Event albums.

User uploaded file

Again, this was the case for also the Music and Movies as it did not show any items, but now my songs and movies are viewable on both of the drives regardless of the format.

User uploaded file

May 31, 2015 8:50 PM in response to Old Toad

Well, I'm just not having any luck with this. I followed advice, but I still cannot see my photos in the Media menu. I practically tried every option in the image below, but to no avail! I even did a repair on disk permission. Every time, I reboot everything and nothing. There is just a simple disconnect with this software. I am sure it is something simple, but I cannot figure it out. Any other ideas?

User uploaded file

Jun 1, 2015 9:02 AM in response to pjfl29

Try the following on the library:

Using iPhoto Library Manager to Rebuild Your iPhoto Library

• DownloadIPhoto Library Manager 4 for OS XC 10.6.8 and iPhoto 8.1.2 and later or iPhoto Library Manager 3 (for OS X 10.5.8 and iPhoto 7.1.5 and earlier) and launch.
  • Click on the Add Library button, navigate to your Home/Pictures folder and select your iPhoto Library folder.
  • Now that the library is listed in the left hand pane of iPLM, click on your library and go to the File ➙ Rebuild Library menu (iPLM 3) or Library ➙ Rebuild Library menu (iPLM 4) option.
  • In the next window name the new library and select the location you want it to be placed.
  • Click on the Create button.

• Note: This creates a new library based on the LIbraryData.xml file in the library and will recover Events, Albums, keywords, titles and comments but not books, calendars or slideshows. The original library will be left untouched for further attempts at fixing the problem or in case the rebuilt library is not satisfactory.

cannot view photos in media sidebar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.