Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My mac book appears to stops other computers using the same Internet from accessing the wifi

I only have this problem when I come home to my parents house. Never had had this problem when at a home shared with 5 others all using the same wifi. But when I come home and connect my Mac book to the wifi and let's say watch netflixs, it will prevent all other devices (pc, iPhone, ipads) from getting an Internet connection. Just wondering if there was something in my settings that was making this happen.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 9:26 PM

1 reply

Apr 27, 2015 10:28 PM in response to Bb1993

Most often BitTorrent, iCloud, Dropbox, or some other cloud-data application is involved in cases of mysterious bandwidth use by a Mac. If you use iCloud, uncheck at least iCloud Drive in its preference pane and see whether there's any change. If you use third-party network backup or file-sync software, disable that. If you use a torrent client, remove it.

Otherwise, if you're running OS X 10.9 or later, you can see which processes are most active on the network.

Launch the Activity Monitor application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

Select All Processes from the View menu, if not already selected, and also select the Network tab.

Click the heading of the Sent Bytes column in the process table to sort the entries by bandwidth usage. You may have to click it twice to get the highest value at the top. What is it, and what is the process? Repeat with the Rcvd Bytes column.

My mac book appears to stops other computers using the same Internet from accessing the wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.