Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I change CSV-separators?

If I export a file from Numbers or from MS-Excel, the file always contains semicolon's as separators. But for most imports -like in contacts- I do need comma as separator. I know that I can change the semicolon to a comma by using Textedit, but this can't be the real solution.

Even i tried to change language settings and didn't get a proper result.

My language settings are German, Decimal comma is set for currency values.

Does anybody has an idea?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Fotos Version 1.0 (209.52.0)

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 10:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 1:27 PM

Hi Cologne-heart,

As long as you are using a comma for a decimal separator you will not be able to use it as a separator in a cvs file.

quinn

5 replies

Apr 28, 2015 7:19 AM in response to Cologne-heart

Cologne-heart wrote:

If I export a file from Numbers or from MS-Excel, the file always contains semicolon's as separators. But for most imports -like in contacts- I do need comma as separator. I know that I can change the semicolon to a comma by using Textedit, but this can't be the real solution.

Even i tried to change language settings and didn't get a proper result.

My language settings are German, Decimal comma is set for currency values.

Does anybody has an idea?

Do what Wayne Contello has suggested or get a free copy of Text Wrangler

http://www.barebones.com/support/textwrangler/

Unlike TextEdit, invisibles can be displayed in Text Wrangler. Plus it has grep replacement.

Personally, I would convert any csv file(s) to tab delimited prior to importing to Excel.

How can I change CSV-separators?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.