Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I left my IMac doing a virus scan overnight, now I have a black screen and ball of death. Can't log in. I've recently upgraded to Yosemite and the Mac is 5 years old

I left my IMac doing a virus scan overnight, now I have a black screen and ball of death. Can't log in. I've recently upgraded to Yosemite and the Mac is 5 years old

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 1:16 AM

4 replies

Apr 28, 2015 8:34 AM in response to PeachesFinbow

PeachesFinbow wrote:

Try starting up in safe mode:

OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode? - Apple Support

If you're able to start up that way, some third-party software is likely to be the culprit. What anti-virus software are you using? Depending on the answer, that software may very well be the cause of the problem.

If you're unable to start up in safe mode, try repairing the hard drive:

http://pondini.org/OSX/DU6.html

If the repair is unsuccessful, your hard drive is probably dying and will need to be replaced. If your hard drive doesn't even appear as an option to repair, it's already dead.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.