Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Google maps

Just today I cannot return to full maps. When I try to return to classic Google maps I'm told I'm in lite mode and I cannot go back to full maps - why would this be? I use Safari and I believe it is up to date.

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 1:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2015 10:26 PM

Try another browser as a test.

If you want to stay with 10.6, try Firefox which is still being updated.

Firefox

2 replies

Apr 29, 2015 10:26 PM in response to robinfromtorquay

If you are still running OS 10.6.8 then Safari is not up to date and can't be updated. Running Google Maps in full mode requires Mountain Lion or higher:

Lite mode

To make Maps load faster, you can use a version of Google Maps called Lite mode. Some older browsers and operating systems might automatically switch to Lite mode if they don't support the full Google Maps.

See if you're in Lite mode

1. Open Google Maps on your computer.
  2. In the top left, click the main menu User uploaded file.
  3. If you're in Lite mode, you’ll see a box in the bottom left with a lightning bolt User uploaded file and "You're in Lite mode."

What being in Lite mode means

In Lite mode, some features are turned off so that Maps can run faster. You won't be able to use the following features while running Maps in Lite mode:

• Seeing 3D imagery and Earth view
  • Showing your computer’s location on the map
  • Setting home and work
  • Searching nearby, measuring the distance between places, and getting coordinates
  • Draggable routes
  • Embedding a map
  • Sending a place to your car
  • Viewing My Maps in Google Maps
  • Reporting a map data problem in Google Maps

Switch to the full version of Google Maps

To use the full version of Google Maps, which includes 3D imagery and more, follow these steps:

1. Make sure your computer meets these requirements.
  2. Open Google Maps on your computer.
  3. In the bottom right, click the Lite mode lightning bolt User uploaded file.
  4. Click Switch back to the full version.

Troubleshoot your switch to the full Maps

If you still don't see the full version, try these steps:

• Restart your browser, like Chrome, Firefox, or Internet Explorer
  • Make sure you've updated your operating system, especially any video card driver updates.

Google maps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.