Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyone using Logic Pro X on iMac 5K?

Hi There,

I am considering purchasing either of the above machines, but would love to hear from anyone using either one or anyone who has been fortunate enough to have tested both machines whilst using Logic Pro X to record and edit audio, as well as music production. A major concern for me above graphics is the quietness of the machine as fan noise for me is hugely distracting and a deal breaker for me! So in terms of noise levels and performance is there a huge benefit in getting the 5K model over the 2013 27" model? I was almost sold on the 5k until reading some reports regarding it running hot and fan noise. Although I couldn't find any reviews from users who were running Logic Pro.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance🙂

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 2:40 AM

8 replies

Jul 5, 2016 6:53 AM in response to THEBLESSED1

They will both be pretty equal in terms of heat and noise. The 5K will generate more heat a bit, because it is a much more powerful monitor, doing a lot more work. The newer model will last longer, in terms of going out of date. You'll be able to do OS X and app updates longer on the latest model. Which would be much more important for me.

Jul 5, 2016 6:56 AM in response to BenB

THank you for taking the time to reply it really is appreciated. Your answer makes sense and seeing as there doesn't seem to be a huge difference between the two in terms of noise then the 5K does seem more future proof. Just trying to decide between the 512SSD or 1Tb (not sure if additonal £400) would be money well spent. 😕

THanks again

Jul 5, 2016 7:11 AM in response to BenB

Again BenB thank you for taking the time to respond. Well I was kinda hoping you wouldn't say that😢, but I guess deep down I know that the 1TB is the way to go and I am sure I will be glad later down the line if I go for bigger option. Was thinking of going for 32GB of ram, but will do upgrade myself, but 16gb will certainly be the minimum that I will go for so thanks for mentioning that too.

Jul 5, 2016 8:05 PM in response to THEBLESSED1

User uploaded file

Here is my system spec. I bought this with the 1Terabyte HD. Never had a fan issue. Though on youtube it has been proven if you are doing processor intensive rendering like in Final Cut Pro you will hear it a lot.

Though the newer models have a slight redesign that actually fixes the issue and makes it less prone to "high Idling" the fan to keep the insides cool. Here is a good video explaining this:

You should be good to go.

HTH.

Ed.

<Link Edited by Host>

Jul 6, 2016 10:50 AM in response to shtunot

Hi There,

thank you for taking the time to reply. Well that is reassuring to know that the re-design appears to have resolved fan issues. As that is something that I was really quite anxious about, as the fan on my G4 Power Mac drove me to distraction! and so made it to be a regretful purchase😢. And in the end was unusable for my Music Production needs. So hoping not to encounter similar issues, but hoping Apple have come along way since then.

I did manage to also watch video which was helpful too, so thanks for that also.

Anyone using Logic Pro X on iMac 5K?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.