Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

connect 2 5k displays

Can I connect 2 Dell Ultra HD 5K Monitor UP2715K displays to my Mac Pro?

The link says I can connect one- https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT202856

But I'd like to know if I can connect two. Also, can I then, still plug in any more displays? Alternatively, can I connect one 5k, one 4k, and one 1080p display together?

I really like the updated details in the link but there could be more information regarding all of the possible display configurations. Also, a list of truly compatible UltraHD 4k TVs, monitors and projectors would be fantastic as I have not found a reliable source for this information elsewhere.

Mac Pro (Late 2013)

3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5

AMD FirePro D700 6144 MB

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 2:46 AM

3 replies

Apr 28, 2015 8:51 AM in response to jeffreylowey

I can say that definitely the iMac only supports connecting one external 5K display. This is because it only has the ability to connect a maximum of two Displayport cables as it only has two sockets.

Officially with the new Mac Pro you can connect only two 4K Displayport displays, or one 5K Displayport display. Unofficially I have no idea if two 5K Displayport displays i.e. the Dell one would work. Based on hardware I would say yes but it is quite possible Apple have not enabled this in their software.

Equally from a hardware point of view you could configure a classic Mac Pro with two (or more) video cards like the GTX 980 but you will need an external power supply to do this. Then again from a hardware point of view it would in theory be possible to connect multiple 5K Displayport displays. Again whether Apple have blocked this in software is as yet unknown.

It is going to need a guinea pig like yourself to do the testing for this. There is no realistic chance an Apple Store Genius would be able to answer this for you other than referring to the official Apple guidance of 'no'.

Apr 28, 2015 9:05 AM in response to jeffreylowey

Those articles are written by collaborations of mathematical thinkers. The language is sometimes torturously precise.

You should take what they say quite literally, and assume that what they omit was omitted on purpose. Do not attempt to "read between the lines".

The displays listed in that article are the only ones tested as working trouble-free. As always, if you step off the groomed path Apple has provided, it may lead you into a swamp, and any problems you encounter will be yours alone to solve.

xlr8yourmac and macrumors forums may be helpful in developing a list of compatible Hi-Def TVs that will work.

connect 2 5k displays

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.