Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini as external hard drive

Buying new mini, want to use 2009 mini as external. Don't necessarily want to partition as a drive, just want to be able to transfer docs between minis and use as extra storage. It's a perfectly good machine and I'd rather not just shelf it.

Mac mini (Early 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 4:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 4:17 AM

You can just startup the old Mac normally and connect to network and use file sharing.

or

Connect the two Macs via FireWire and boot the old Mac in Target Disk Mode. You will need to purchase a Thunderbolt to FW 800 adopter and then a FW 400 to FW 400 to 800 adopter. The gender of the FW 400/800 adopter depends upon the cable FW 800 or 400 you will use

How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2015 4:17 AM in response to Darryl Claps

You can just startup the old Mac normally and connect to network and use file sharing.

or

Connect the two Macs via FireWire and boot the old Mac in Target Disk Mode. You will need to purchase a Thunderbolt to FW 800 adopter and then a FW 400 to FW 400 to 800 adopter. The gender of the FW 400/800 adopter depends upon the cable FW 800 or 400 you will use

How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode - Apple Support

May 9, 2015 11:11 PM in response to woodmeister50

I'd like to connet my Mac Mini to my home network, but I ran into a different problem with my Mac Mini that I posted some time ago and got no resolution for. My Mac Mini essentially floods the network traffic and crashes my internet connection. It worked fine as my only device when I lived in a different home, same city. However now, it connects for a few moments then completely disconnects. Consequently, I am not able to connect any other devices, even after shutting down my Mac Mini, until I power down all devices including the router and modem. I won't go into that issue again here, but I'd like to know if it's possible to connect the Mac Mini to the network somehow WITHOUT the Mac Mini having Internet connectivity. This way, I can at least get the resources I have on that device.

Mac mini as external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.