Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Youtube support stops on ATV2

We have probably all heard about Youtube discontinueing the use of an old API which will render the Youtube app on the ATV2 useless.

However Youtube will still work on the ATV3, why doesn't Apple simply update the youtube app for the ATV2?

AppleTV 2, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 7:01 AM

11 replies

Apr 29, 2015 8:24 AM in response to Klaas Barends

Send some feedback to:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html

AppleTV2 is a good few years old now but they stopped offering software updates last year from memory.

Appreciate your frustration but I think we'll see this a lot with electronic devices in coming years.

My Sony BluRay can no longer access certain online services as the old APIs have changed for one reason or another.

May 6, 2015 12:38 PM in response to Rudegar

I don't think this is true.

As a customer I don't care what google did. I bought this device from Apple, not from Google, so Apple should fix it.

I think we can all agree that youtube functionality is a big part of what gives the device its value. (not the biggest part, but 10% is also a big part)

Apple can either build the app themselves (just look at what the api says and follow the instructions) or can ask Google to do it for them.

Since there is already a functional youtube-app for iOS (it runs on your iphone and ipad) I don't think it would cost them a arm and a leg.

May 9, 2015 6:44 AM in response to Klaas Barends

People, I think we should just end this. It is now apparent that we are responding to a closed, irrational mindset and there’s no discussion to be had with that kind of thinking. I mean we’re trying to argue with someone who thinks a non-functioning app cannot be removed with his permission, even though he can’t use it because it doesn’t work. What’s to discuss here?

May 9, 2015 7:01 AM in response to lkrupp

...someone who thinks a non-functioning app cannot be removed with his permission, even though he can’t use it because it doesn’t work.

This is exactly what Apple has done with pre-installed YouTube app on iPad1. Apple does not support YouTube on iPad 1 either and this is ok BUT Apple has not removed it from the iPad 1. The pre-installed YouTube app on iPad 1 is now a non-functioning app and Apple has not removed it (as today)!

This is how it should be also on the Apple TV. Apple should leave the non-functioning YouTube app on Apple tv and ask nicely every user if it wants removed it or not!

What’s to discuss here?

Here one may discuss the technical solution which is as follows. Apple should put back the pre-installed YouTube app on Apple TV, which has deleted it previously without user permission!

May 9, 2015 7:19 AM in response to enx23

enx23 wrote:

The pre-installed YouTube app on iPad 1 is now a non-functioning app and Apple has not removed it (as today)!

That in no way affects Apple's legal right to do so at any time they so choose. Again, users do not own this software & thus have no legal rights to its use other than those specifically granted to them by the licensing terms.

Youtube support stops on ATV2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.