Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I add an external disk to my 1T time capsule to increase backup capacity?

I have run out of disk space on my 1T Time Capsule. Can I connect an external USB disk to the Time Capsule to increase backup capacity?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 6:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 9:24 AM

You can connect a USB hard drive.....formatted in Mac OS Extended (Journaled)..... to the USB port on the Time Capsule, and it will operate as if it were another backup drive.

If you are using Time Machine to back up to the USB drive, Time Machine will make a new complete backup of your entire Mac on the first backup to the USB drive.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2015 9:24 AM in response to MPT2

You can connect a USB hard drive.....formatted in Mac OS Extended (Journaled)..... to the USB port on the Time Capsule, and it will operate as if it were another backup drive.

If you are using Time Machine to back up to the USB drive, Time Machine will make a new complete backup of your entire Mac on the first backup to the USB drive.

Can I add an external disk to my 1T time capsule to increase backup capacity?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.