Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a 5 year old MacBook running OS X v10.5.8 Of course Apple does not provide an OS update and then other software apps won't update because the OS is obsolete. Is there a way of upgrading the hardware so the software can be made current?

I have a 5 year old MacBook running OS X v10.5.8 Of course Apple does not provide an OS update and then other software apps won't update because the OS is obsolete. Is there a way of upgrading the hardware so the software can be made current?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 7:25 AM

6 replies

Apr 28, 2015 7:42 AM in response to RoundBarn

Of course apple provides updates. Its just that the update you require needs to be purchased from Apple through the Store. Since it only exists as a physical DVD.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

There are always ways to update hardware, if you tell us your exact model of Macbook, from the "About This Mac" option in the Apple Menu we can tell you if it really needs upgrading or not.

You probably just need to update to Snow Leopard to get the Mac App Store. and be able to update further from there.

Apr 28, 2015 8:09 AM in response to Phil0124

Thanks for your encouraging prompt reply. I am confused by the OS "names" since I can't remember them and they do not help chronologically. I need help going from my current MacBook5,1 with OS X v10.5.8 with a 2GHz intel core 2 Duo, 2 GB of DDR3 Ram to an environment (currently supported OS) that will allow apps (like Safari) to be updated so in turn my e-mail can be made current etc. My confusion stems from going on-line (Apple) and being told that OS X 10.5.8 could not be updated and followed by a "tech" (sales associate?) at a physical Apple Store telling me that the only thing I could do was to live with what I have or buy a new product. If my next step is to buy an OS install disk to v10.6? , how do I then proceed since I'll still be generations behind?

Apr 28, 2015 8:42 AM in response to RoundBarn

Buy Snow Leopard here: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

After it is installed, update Snow Leopard to the final 10.6.8 version using software update.

Then if you have the minimum 2 Gigs of RAM (You should upgrade the RAM to the Max for your model, 8 Gigs) use the App Store app to download and install Yosemite.

Since you're still using Leopard, please note that some of your older 3rd party software, i.e., Office 2004, Appleworks, etc., may not be compatible with Yosemite.

Apr 28, 2015 9:25 AM in response to RoundBarn

Snow Leopard is 10.6. The update to your 10.5.8. From there you can download the Mac App Store and if your computer supports it, update the Os further up to the current one: 10.10.3 Yosemite. through the Mac app Store. but you need at least 10.6 to ge the Mac App Store App.

You could if supported update directly to Lion 10.7 or Mountain Lion 10.8 If your computer supports it. but 10.6 is a sure bet is supported and would be a good place to start.

Basically the update to 10.6 will allow you to update online to the most up to date OS your computer may be able to support.

With that said, go to the Apple Menu->About This Mac, and tell us what exact model of Mac you have.

Also since you only currently have 2GB of RAM, updating the RAM to 4GB would be advisable so the newer OS versions have more RAM to work with, and as such run smoother.

Apr 29, 2015 8:38 AM in response to RoundBarn

10.6.8 Combo Updater

The 2 places I’ve seen recommended most to buy reliable RAM are below. I have purchased RAM several times from Other World Computing and have always been very satisfied with the product and service. They have on-line instructions on how to replace the RAM. OWC has also tested RAM above what Apple states is the maximum. I now have 6GB installed on a early 2008 iMac supposedly limited to 4 GB and noticed an improvement.

Crucial

Other World Computing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.