Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Volume Disk Missing

HI, I recently moved home, and have a new internet provider. I am using Qnap disk to use Time Machine with. Everything was working fine, until I received new router from different provider. Time Machine doesn't seem to see the volume disk over new network, but Mac does. I can connect via Finder as per picture.

- I have enabled "Time Machine" option on the volume disk. It contains folder with last backup as well.

- I can connect to disk via wifi through Qfinder app

- Disk utility can't see the volume either

- Finder window can connect to the volume

User uploaded file

How do I convince the Time Machine to discover the volume disk?

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 7:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2015 3:30 AM

what OS are you running?

Are you using ethernet to the main router and wifi to the QNAP? Is there two networks active?

The QNAP is running an IP of 192.168.1.1 which is what I would expect the router to be running.

What IP is on the Mac? If you are running both ethernet and wifi please give me both.

Just to clarify you should NOT see the QNAP disk via disk utility.. It is a network drive.. disk utility will only see local drives.. or virtual drives hosted on a network.

The fact you do see the disk in Finder.. will usually make it available in TM but for some reason the new router has upset things.. I suspect because you are on a different IP range.

Have a try at manually mounting the QNAP in finder using the top menu Go>Connect to Server command.

Type in AFP://192.168.1.1

When asked type in the correct username and password.. this is specifically for your TM share.. but this may not work..

You might need to type it in explicitly with the user.. Anyhow.. please read specifically section 3 here on mounting the TM share in your Mac.

http://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/How_to_setup_your_QNAP_NAS_with_Apple_Time_Machine

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2015 3:30 AM in response to alessign

what OS are you running?

Are you using ethernet to the main router and wifi to the QNAP? Is there two networks active?

The QNAP is running an IP of 192.168.1.1 which is what I would expect the router to be running.

What IP is on the Mac? If you are running both ethernet and wifi please give me both.

Just to clarify you should NOT see the QNAP disk via disk utility.. It is a network drive.. disk utility will only see local drives.. or virtual drives hosted on a network.

The fact you do see the disk in Finder.. will usually make it available in TM but for some reason the new router has upset things.. I suspect because you are on a different IP range.

Have a try at manually mounting the QNAP in finder using the top menu Go>Connect to Server command.

Type in AFP://192.168.1.1

When asked type in the correct username and password.. this is specifically for your TM share.. but this may not work..

You might need to type it in explicitly with the user.. Anyhow.. please read specifically section 3 here on mounting the TM share in your Mac.

http://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/How_to_setup_your_QNAP_NAS_with_Apple_Time_Machine

Apr 29, 2015 2:23 AM in response to LaPastenague

Hi, thanks for answering

- Both are connected to wi-fi. No ethernet

User uploaded file

- Mac has IP 192.168.1.6

- Typing AFP://192.168.1.1 in Finder's connect to server works, but it can not see Qnap's TM. Just other folders (home, music station...) - I tried to select one and mount it. It worked, and I can back up, but the problem is, that the Qnap disk has now 2 backups and is full. It will create entirely new backup, not sync with the old one and perform just little changes.

Thanks for the link, I'll follow the set of instructions

Apr 29, 2015 3:10 AM in response to alessign

Once you create a new backup delete the old one.. then see if TM will do incremental to the new backup.

This is the hassle of setting up non-apple gear using something like Time Machine which is so apple specific.

There is another way around the problem.. buy and use Carbon Copy Cloner.

It is very much superior to Time Machine which is rather broken on Yosemite.. I always recommend people not to depend on it.. especially to foreign ie non-apple network drives..

Apr 29, 2015 3:29 AM in response to alessign

Yes, that's what I was thinking of. I would love to use just apple products - I strongly believe in technology, but in this case, TimeCapsule doesn't offer sharing files with people, which is rather convenient for me a a photographer. I can send large files to client just by uploading it to my NAS an share it...no Dropbox etc. way easier...it will be pointless to have 2 for the same thing

thank you

Best regards

a

Time Machine Volume Disk Missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.