Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

issues after restoring iPhone 6 from backup: many apps grayed out

In iTunes 12.1.2.27 I backed up iPhone 5, 16 GB, with iOS 8.3 (including apps) and then restored the backup to a new iPhone 6, 16 GB, with iOS 8.3.

The restore finished successfully but I see that many apps are not working on the iPhone 6: their icons are grayed out and when I try to start such an app the text below the icon says "Waiting..." but the app never opens.

I tried to power off the iPhone a couple of times but to no avail.

The phone has Internet connection over mobile network as well as over WiFi network.

In Settings > General > About I see the following:

- On the old iPhone 5:

Applications: 77

Capacity: 12.6 GB

Available: 4.3 GB

Model: MD297CM/A

- On the new iPhone 6:

Applications: 53

Capacity: 12.0 GB

Available: 9.6 GB

Model: MG472ZD/A

It seems as the restore did not transfer all 77 apps but only 53. What could be the reason for that?

I'd like to avoid reinstalling the defunct apps. How to solve this issue?

-- rpr.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 8:14 AM

4 replies

Apr 28, 2015 8:21 AM in response to rpremuz

Hi !

I had the same problem last week, getting my new iphone 6 (upgrade from 4s). Some of the apps were usable, others were grey as you described. My solvvation of the problem was to connect the iphone with my macbook and to wait some time, even half of an hour. Meanwhile, I started again a backup with the new iPhone and iTunes rstored the "broken" apps well. Sorry for my bad English, I hope you got the point !

Greetings

S.

Apr 28, 2015 8:27 AM in response to rpremuz

If you had not configured iTunes to store a local copy of all iOS apps in its Library:

User uploaded file

then you will have to re-download them all from the Purchased section of the App Store or let them sync in the goodness of time. Otherwise they would have been reinstalled automatically from the start (although that would take time, my i6+ took over an hour to do so when downloading from the Mac the 415 apps it inherited from the previous i5, ~38GB on a 64GB device).

Apr 29, 2015 9:50 AM in response to rpremuz

I've found sound instructions on How to back up your devices using iCloud or iTunes - Apple Support and Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup - Apple Support.

Basically, you do the following in iTunes with old iPhone connected:

• Store → Authorize This Computer
  • File → Devices → Transfer Purchases
  • File → Devices → Back Up
  • Store → Deauthorize This Computer

Then, with new iPhone connected:

• Store → Authorize This Computer
  • File → Devices → Restore from Backup
  • Store → Deauthorize This Computer

Also, clean files from "My Music\iTunes\iTunes Media" and "%appdata%\Apple Computer\MobileSync\backup" folders if you don't want to keep them.

issues after restoring iPhone 6 from backup: many apps grayed out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.