Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 Plus 16gb storage doubts?

Why is it sold as 16gb of storage if the actual, real storage is then displayed (on both iTunes and the iPhone itself) as only 11.7gb?

Where is the rest of the supposed storage? Is there a way to understand why it's this way?

I'm not talking about how much I use, I'm talking about the total hardware storage.

I bought a 16gb 'cause I've always only used about 12-13gb on my old 4S (64gb), so 64 was a waste of money in the end but now 32 isn't available anymore.

I thought 16 will be more than enough, even if the real storage is then only about 15 or so.

Leaving a couple gb out for iOS updates and stuff, should be no problem.

BUT 11.7! Now I'll have to delete some things and I don't think it's fair to pay for 16 and get 11...

Anyone have an idea? Is it only my phone in particular?

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 9:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 10:27 AM

The storage is occupied with iOS and system files. To free up some space you may try to reset and restore your device.

Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button

• Press and hold on the Home button
  • Keep holding both buttons until the display turns off and back on with Apple logo on it.

Alternatively, you may go to Settings - General - Reset - Reset All Settings

If this does not help, try these steps. Note that this may erase the data from your computer.

You need to restore your device to factory settings.

Take a look this Apple Support article: Use iTunes to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support.

If this does not help, try the recovery mode. Turn your device off, then plug it to your computer with the home button pressed. You will need to have iTunes installed on this computer. Keep the Home button pressed until you see the iTunes logo on the screen of your iPhone. After that on your computer you should see the iTunes window saying your iPhone needs to be restored to factory settings. Click on the restore button.

More info about storage on iOS devices:

See how much storage you've used on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

How OS X and iOS report storage capacity - Apple Support

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2015 10:27 AM in response to applewarm

The storage is occupied with iOS and system files. To free up some space you may try to reset and restore your device.

Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button

• Press and hold on the Home button
  • Keep holding both buttons until the display turns off and back on with Apple logo on it.

Alternatively, you may go to Settings - General - Reset - Reset All Settings

If this does not help, try these steps. Note that this may erase the data from your computer.

You need to restore your device to factory settings.

Take a look this Apple Support article: Use iTunes to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support.

If this does not help, try the recovery mode. Turn your device off, then plug it to your computer with the home button pressed. You will need to have iTunes installed on this computer. Keep the Home button pressed until you see the iTunes logo on the screen of your iPhone. After that on your computer you should see the iTunes window saying your iPhone needs to be restored to factory settings. Click on the restore button.

More info about storage on iOS devices:

See how much storage you've used on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

How OS X and iOS report storage capacity - Apple Support

Apr 28, 2015 10:10 AM in response to D.Cohen

I've only just activated it through iTunes so it's still completely "empty", I still haven't synced it or restored the backup from my old 4S.

Hence I suppose resetting or restoring would be sort of useless? Since it's still actually factory new?

Those procedures probably work after it's been used, and things have been changed and stuff has been put on it.

Am I wrong? Or do you think I could get a little more space by doing that even though the phone is a newborn?

iPhone 6 Plus 16gb storage doubts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.