Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes creates corrupted backup after updating to iOS 8.3

So this happened right after I updated my iPhone 5s to iOS 8.3.

I got an "iTunes could not backup the iPhone because the backup was corrupt or not compatible with the iPhone" error.

I've followed instructions to update iTunes, restart the program, computer, and phone.

Delete backups.

I've tried backing up on my 2nd computer with the same exact error.

None of it works.

iTunes DOES make a backup. It says it was created 12/31/2000 at 6pm. However if I navigate to the folder in AppData it says it was created at the proper time on my computer's clock. I'm too afraid to restore that backup since my phone has no "real" backup now.

I would call Apple support but they want to charge me $30 for one session.

I've been avoiding restoring my phone because I don't want to spend the time to get all my apps and photos and music back onto the phone.

So I'm left with 2 options.

Restore the iPhone and waste a good hour of my time reinstalling everything.

Or waiting for the next 8.x iOS update and hope that fixes the issue.

Unless someone here can think of a 3rd option.

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 9:22 AM

4 replies

Apr 30, 2015 7:45 AM in response to offroadguy

Hi there offroadguy,

It sounds like you’ve done quite a bit of troubleshooting to try and resolve the issue creating a backup of your iPhone 5s. If you haven't already, take a look at the article linked below which provides some additional troubleshooting tips that will likely resolve the issue.

Get help making a backup in iTunes - Apple Support

So long,

-Jason

May 1, 2015 3:53 PM in response to Jason L

Ah, that page.

I've done everything it's suggested. Deleting the Lockdown folder causes iTunes to fail the backup process completely. It wont even start to backup my phone.

A 2nd computer doesn't fix it either. Still says it's corrupt. This 2nd computer also didn't have any anti-virus so that's not the issue.

I can backup my iPod 2nd generation perfectly fine.

Also my iPhone 5s has stopped telling me it has 0 bytes of free space. It now says the proper amount of free space. iTunes still won't backup the phone however.

iTunes creates corrupted backup after updating to iOS 8.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.