Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use Early 2008 iMac as Monitor

Hi,

I'm planning to purchase a new MacBook Pro and wanted to know if I can use my iMac as an external monitor.

I've read that this will only work easily/good starting with 2009 iMac models with Target Display Mode, also that it could be possible over a network, and maybe with a program called ScreenRecycler.

The new MacBook Pro has no ethernet cable port, so if it's possible over a network I guess it would have to be through wifi?

My idea was using the mini DVI port on the iMac and the HDMI port on the new MacBook Pro, let me explain. For a long time (before Apple TV/AirPlay) I would connect my iMac to my flat screen TV to watch movies in higher definition. I did this with a mini dvi-to-HDMI converter; one end connects to the mini dvi port on the iMac and the other end gets one end of the HDMI cable, the other end connects to the TV.

This set up worked very well, but would it work between my iMac and a new MacBook Pro? Has anyone already tried? If not can you offer another way to do it?

Thanks much,

Nic

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), null

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 8:56 AM

13 replies

Apr 28, 2015 9:32 AM in response to nicelaos

With the adapter you can use Screen Recycler to send your MacBooks Screen to the iMac through the App over a wired network. Instead of wirelessly.

As explained in their website: You run the software on each Mac, and it extends the screen over the Network.

http://www.screenrecycler.com/help.html

A Video Capture Card, would let you grab the video output from the Macbook and display it on the iMac. Depending on the software some may let you extend the screen while other's may simply mirror it.

Apr 28, 2015 9:55 AM in response to Phil0124

Okay, I see, thanks for explaining.

I'm guessing a hard wired network connection would be better than a wifi one.

I also found ax external video capture card on Amazon: http://amzn.com/B00612ZPQA

It's about $25 more than the thunderbolt/ethernet adapter, so which one would you recommend as the better way to go? Will one set up offer better quality imaging, stability, ease of use, etc.?

Apr 29, 2015 8:14 AM in response to nicelaos

That's not really a capture card, its a Multimonitor Adapter. This will simply let you plug an extra monitor into a computer via one of its USB ports.

It will do nothing if what you want to do is plug in an iMac into a MBP, since the iMac's DVI port is still only output.

If your iMac can support TDM, go for TDM over the wired network that would be the easiest route. if that's not an option go for ScreenRecycler also over the network.

Use Early 2008 iMac as Monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.