Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do other video editors cope with Yosemite (xpc, icloud bugs...)

Right so all I want is to be able to use Apple Motion on a stable system.

I don't need icloud, photos or any of that bs.

However I keep noticing icloud bugging out in the console, as well as photoagent and all kinds of needless process that slow down when not crash my editing software or even block me out of internet.

And so I sign out of icloud and anything related. But then it gets worst, sandbox, xpc, my whole system gets completely lost and throws identification errors left and right, making Motion super laggy.

Has anyone else noticed that? Could it be possible that Icloud plays such a role in the way processes, including the ones used by pro apps, communicate with each other? Are we in a way forced to give in to icloud (and its load of issues), to be able to edit in a half way decent fashion?

I tried keychain first aid, onyx, digital rebellion, fsck-fy, reset p-ram, smc,nothing gives.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), apple motion, xpc, sandbox

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 9:26 AM

4 replies

May 3, 2015 12:44 PM in response to BenB

We all pretty much now by know that the OS has issues, serious ones (I 'm not the only apparently). I finally mitigated some of my issues (one fix entailed solving a huge mess in my keychains) and haven't slept in 2 days with a deadline tomorrow. Now that I can finally get back to work seriously, I find out that Motion 5 is excruciatingly slow to export, whether from the soft itself or via compressor . Even Motion 3 was a breeze in comparison.(by the way, Compressor offers to distribute batch among several computers, but the feature doesn't apply to projects sent from Motion and fcp, hence a completly useless feature for most workflows). I know that generators and replicators are ram hungry and so I'm resorting to export them one by one with the happy prospect of an additional round of compositing and export). As I speak, a simple circle with a paint stroke superimposed by an ulterior export of the corona emitter sigh....are rendering. and for only 16secs of a 4444 clip on alpha over a stroke outline is taking a good 30mn

This is outrageous. knowing that it is only portion of a clip among a dozen others which need to be delivered all cut up tomorrow, I am basically dead. Needless to say that re-installing everything right now is unthinkable, especially since I'm working on a recent clean install and so who knows what defects I'll end up getting the next time around

If I could use help at this level of catastrophy, it would be some advice on the best quality/time ratio codec for exporting and re-importing 1080 w alpha clips. I'm currently going for 4444 + alpha with same settings as the project but there may be faster.

How do other video editors cope with Yosemite (xpc, icloud bugs...)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.