Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I permanently erase photos in Photos app on OS X 10.10.3 Yosemite ?

I have tried deleting the photos and videos from spotlight searching, but it doesn't show me enough improvement in space. My library was 3.62 GB, and now it's 1.89 GB, also I have emptied my trash. I have tried deleting it from the photos app too. But still the space occupied by photos is same. How do I reset the Photos app instead? I have tried logging out of my iCloud account and then logging again, still no sign of improvement in space, instead, the library starts uploading what is already on iCloud as well as on Mac (both of which are same). It seems like, the photos app is experiencing a bug problem.

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 8:41 AM

7 replies

Apr 28, 2015 8:54 AM in response to smartchaser

Hi smartchaser...!!

Deleted photos and video aren’t immediately removed from your library; they’re placed in the Recently Deleted album, where they remain for the number of days shown, and then are deleted.

You can recover the items before that period of time. If you have iCloud Photo Library turned on, the photos may remain in iCloud up to 40 days and then are removed from all your devices that use iCloud Photo Library.

If you’re not using iCloud Photo Library, your deleted photos are removed from your Mac only.

Hope this helps....

Apr 28, 2015 10:09 AM in response to smartchaser

Try reindexing your OS X.

If that doesn’t help then try Omni sweeper app......

After running it do this......

OmniDiskSweeper only shows files that are visible to the user that ran it. Since few people ever run as a fully priviledged “root” user, this means you’re almost always going to miss something, including system-level files or files and folders belonging to other user accounts on that Mac.

To give OmniDiskSweeper full access to all files on your drive, you must run the application from the Terminal using the “sudo

"
command, which stands for “Super User Do” and gives access to all files on a user’s drive. As with all “sudo
"
commands, triple-check the syntax before executing it (or simply copy/paste from here) as it is possible to cause irreversible damage to the OS and file system if the wrong command is entered. Assuming you have OmniDiskSweeper installed in your main Applications folder, that command is:

sudo /Applications/OmniDiskSweeper.app/Contents/MacOS/OmniDiskSweeper

Once an administrative password is entered, the application will launch and allow you to scan the drive for all files.

Hope this helps.........

How do I permanently erase photos in Photos app on OS X 10.10.3 Yosemite ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.