Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I try to back up iCloud on my iPhone 5, it will not complete, no reason given

I have backed up iCloud on my iPhone 5 many times but lately it won't complete. It goes for a while looking like it is working & then comes up & says it cannot complete, no reason given.

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 9:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2015 10:05 AM

I have seen a space issue cause this.

You will want to check for space, on the iCloud and what it requires of the next backup.

Setting > iCloud > Backup

When you turn on the Backup and Backup now it will, it might take a bit, show the space required for the backup.

If the space required is greater then you space available, there is you problem.

Best of Luck

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2015 10:05 AM in response to anitafromok

I have seen a space issue cause this.

You will want to check for space, on the iCloud and what it requires of the next backup.

Setting > iCloud > Backup

When you turn on the Backup and Backup now it will, it might take a bit, show the space required for the backup.

If the space required is greater then you space available, there is you problem.

Best of Luck

Apr 29, 2015 10:11 AM in response to damaag

When I start the backup, it says there is 2.9 GB of space available. The times it would not complete, it never gave progress. I tried again this morning (7am) & it showed progress & I considered that an improvement. It is still plugged in ( noon ) & running (or appears to be) & says about 2 days left..... I will leave it a while & see what happens & then try your instructions if it still does not backup. I was reading the FAQs on this & it said something about deleting old photos that are on iCloud. I have moved all pics I want into iPhoto. If I delete old ones from iCloud, will it leave the ones in iPhoto?

Thanks!

Apr 30, 2015 12:57 PM in response to brenden dv

I did delete a lot of pics from my iPhone & that allowed the backup to run. I did go to the article you included & unchecked apps that I didn't think needed backing up, so maybe that will help next time. I take a lot of pics & had wondered when it would cause a problem.

I decided I should backup & remove old pics from my iPhoto on my MacBook Pro. I followed the instructions on how to export them, but then I couldn't find them when I wanted to burn them to a DVD! So, now I need to learn how to do that.....

Thank you for your help.

When I try to back up iCloud on my iPhone 5, it will not complete, no reason given

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.