Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why the apple logo is half eaten?

my friends tease me that android eat the apple... So I want know that why the apple logo is half eaten?

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 10:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 10:09 AM

Because it was designed that way 40 years ago (long before Android).

And iOS is eating Android for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

14 replies

May 3, 2015 3:59 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Seems it is more than a story - with many thanks to our friend romad's cooking it down in this post > Re: Meaning of the bite on Apple logo?

Here is the reference he makes from the article cited in the OP ( the ¶ formatting & emphasis is mine for clarity)

Interview with Rob Janoff, designer of the Apple logo

Ivan | Mon, 2009-08-03 10:14

- http://creativebits.org/interview/interview_rob_janoff_designer_apple_logo

CB: Is it possible you were influenced subconsciously by these stories?

RJ: Well, I'm probably the least religious person, so Adam and Eve didn't have anything to do with it. The bite of knowledge sounds fabulous, but that's not it. And there is a whole lot of other lore about it. Turing the famous supposed father of computer science who committed suicide in the early 50's was british and was accused of being homosexual, which he was. He was facing a jail sentence so he committed suicide to avoid all that. So, I heard one of the legends being that the colored logo*(see below) was an homage to him. People think I did the colored stripes because of the gay flag. And, that was something really thought for a long time. The other really cool part was that apparently he killed himself with a cyanide laced apple. And, then I found out Alan Turing's favorite childhood story was Snow White where she falls asleep forever afrer eating a poisoned apple to be woken up by the handsome prince.

Anyway, when I explain the real reason why I did the bite it's kind of a let down. But I'll tell you. I designed it with a bite for scale, so people get that it was an apple not a cherry.

Also it was kind of iconic about taking a bite out of an apple. Something that everyone can experience. It goes across cultures. If anybody ever had an apple he has probably bitten into it and that's what you get. It was after I designed it that my creative director told me: "Well you know, there is a computer term called byte". And I was like: "You're kidding!" So, it was like perfect, but it was coincidental that it was also a computer term. At the time I had to be told everything about basic computer terms.

User uploaded file

There! That's that!

ÇÇÇ

May 3, 2015 9:13 AM in response to Csound1

[chuckle] - only one problem though... Photographers take pictures with cameras - Graphic Designers draw logos with art tools (copyrights often are awarded to their first commitment to a 'Tangible Medium', often beginning with pen/pencil drawing an a table napkin in a bar) - let's see whether Rob was hungry...

*it never cesaes to amaze how folk can come up with lofty topics of debate, and yet, forget that Google likely can settle the argument definitively*

User uploaded file

Rob Janoff writes for LogoTalks.com >

Apple logo designer, his early career and legends, lore of the Apple Logo

He may of may not have employed the Golden Ratio - but certainly used drafting tools

User uploaded file

This article contains many of the sources for the "stories" (a spade a spade = "rumors") > http://fineprintnyc.com/blog/history-of-the-apple-logo -

I'll stick with Janoff's explanation, this one from his aforementioned artice...

... The bite gave the apple the correct scale.

The bite also keeps the shape from being confused with any other piece of round fruit.

In addition, I think taking a bite out of an apple is a universally shared and pleasant experience.

User uploaded file

... me too.

ÇÇÇ

why the apple logo is half eaten?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.