Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad restore error 52

I finally decided to update the iOS on my 3rd gen iPad from 7.1 to 8.3 using iTunes 12. At some point the process hit a snag and I got a message that I could not update but had to restore. Okay... continued, trying to restore. All seemed well until the "restoring firmware" progress indicator completed. Then I got the message "The iPad 'iPad' could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (52)." I searched the support forums for a description of error 52 but couldn't find one. I have tried different Macs running Lion, Mountain Lion, and Yosemite, but no difference. My iPad is now an expensive paperweight. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks, Steve

iPad, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 10:24 AM

1 reply

May 15, 2015 6:46 AM in response to Mwalimu Steve

The saga continues…

Yesterday I took my iPad to the nearest Genius Bar, a two-hour drive North to Portland. After attempting to restore the device, the Apple guy got the same result, unexpected Error 52. He was unable to tell me what the error meant (like me, the only reference he could find was to a Windows USB error), but nonetheless pronounced it a hardware problem. I asked him why something as simple as upgrading the operating system would kill my iPad and his response was a bit puzzling. First he said that the hardware issue had to have been there all along, and the update just brought it to the surface. Strange, I said, since I had been happily using the device for three years with no hint of a problem. He then said that the life expectancy of an iPad is only 2-3 years anyway, and that Apple won’t warranty them for any longer since you can expect this kind of cataclysmic failure after that amount of time.

What?? Apple knowing sells a product with that short a life expectancy? This was news to me, an owner of several 4 to 8 year old Macs and a venerable iPhone 3GS that all work perfectly. ****, even my ancient SE/30 runs just fine when I boot it up from time to time just for fun. When I tried to pin him down on this aggressive planned obsolescence approach by Apple, he tried to relate it to the pace of technological change and how rapidly software is evolving. I attempted to bring the conversation back to hardware durability, but eventually quit trying to get a more illuminating answer.

I asked about repairing my iPad and was told that Apple doesn't repair them, but would gladly sell me a refurbished iPad 3 for $299 - with a 90-day warranty. Hmm... let's see, after just telling me how the iPad 3 model is past its life expectancy I should buy a replacement time bomb with three whole months of peace of mind? Seriously?

So now it's decision time. It strains my budget to go with a new upper end cellular iPad knowing that - like my last $729 purchase - I may have the same dismal luck. I suppose if I do I should pick up Applecare, then sell the device a month or two before the extended warranty runs out. Or maybe it's time to consider a cheaper Android tablet. Not an iPad, I know, but if it becomes a paperweight after only three years at least I'm not out as much money.

I realize I'm probably that one in a million Apple customer who has this kind of luck, and that I shouldn't get bent out of shape, acting like an idiot or a naive idealist (or both). Still, when it's your ox that's been gored it's easy to start venting 😉

Steve

Ipad restore error 52

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.