Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mobile data turned off but having usage charged

Since I changed to iPhone 6 plus, I have seen that I have mobile data usage on a daily bases. But for most days my mobile data has been completely turned off. I have contacted t-mobile Netherlands which is my service provider. They said they could only see in their system those usage occurred. They also said it could be that there is some hidden function with iPhone 6 plus which is working in background or if the WiFi is slower than mobile data speed (4G), some apps may try to use mobile data. Is it true? This is a serious problem as I am charged everyday for the data I did not use. Can some expert help? Thanks in advance.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 11:01 AM

5 replies

Apr 30, 2015 8:31 AM in response to guma3208

Good day guma3208,

You can use your iPhone's system to tell which applications are using cellular data, and if necessary turn off that usage. See this article -

Learn about cellular data settings and usage on your iPhone and iPad (Cellular Model) - Apple Support

In particular the section titled View and adjust data usage.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Safe computing,

Brett L

May 1, 2015 12:37 AM in response to Brett L

Thanks Brett. It's helpful. I don't have Exchange ActiveSync account. I always set fetch data for apps manually. I always turn off cellular data unless I need to use it because most of the time there is WiFi connection in my environment.

But I still have a question. On the article "Learn about cellular data settings and usage on your iPhone and iPad (Cellular Model) - Apple Support", it says:

"When your device is connected to Wi-Fi, any FaceTime Video or Audio calls you make will use the Wi-Fi network. If your router loses its Internet connection, or if the Wi-Fi connection degrades, you'll stay connected to the Wi-Fi network, but your device will route the data over cellular data."

Does this mean even if the cellular data is turned off, this will still be the case?

May 1, 2015 7:12 AM in response to guma3208

To check where could be the cause of data usage, I turned off every thing: cellular data, FaceTime, iMessge, all background app refresh, all applications from using cellular data. But the data network was still charged. When I switched back to iPhone 4S with same setup, it was fine, no data usage occurred. So it must be the problem with iPhone 6 plus. I don't know what else I can do. It's eating my monthly mobile coverage.

Mobile data turned off but having usage charged

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.