Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I create a portable ad-hoc network between an iPad and other wireless devices?

I have a iPad that uses a third-part app to connect to and read data from a wireless hard drive. This works great in my house over my local network. What I want to do is create an ad-hoc network to use in my car or other remote site to basically just allow the wireless connection between the two devices, with no internet connection. I have used an ad-hoc network in the past to sync data between my iPad and my iMac, so theoretically it should be possible, but I can't seem to find out how to do it using the iPad to create the network. Is there a support article discussing this? Has anyone out there tried doing this? Any help would be appreciated.

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 7.0.3, 64 gb

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 10:04 AM

3 replies

Apr 28, 2015 10:55 AM in response to Kappy

Thanks for the reply, but I must not have made myself clear. I'm not looking for internet or 3G service. All I want is a temporary network to share data over. I have lots of movies and videos stored on a wireless hard drive and I just want to be able to access them in the car while on trips or on vacation. It works in my house even when we lose our internet connection. The cable modem is off-line and the Airport Extreme light glows orange, but the wireless network still works. I guess that I could set up an iPhone as a hotspot and pay extra for a service I would only need sporadically, but I'm hoping that there is an alternative.

Can I create a portable ad-hoc network between an iPad and other wireless devices?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.