Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I delete photos from my iPhone without losing them on my iCloud Library too?

I've updated to iOS 8.3 but I can't believe that it now means that I can't delete photos from my phone without losing them on every device?

The message that I get when I delete anything says that 'This photo will be deleted from iCloud Photo Library on all your devices'

Is there really no way of making space on my phone without deleting them from my iCloud storage?

I want to keep photos without having every single one on my phone!

😕

iPhone 5c, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 10:17 AM

4 replies

May 31, 2015 12:18 PM in response to stór_björn

I Think csound1 may have missed your point as you are correct. Even using 'one library' you will have space issues because originals are still on that device even though they are shared with the entire library (unless apple is converting even originals to a smaller size and keeping originals on the cloud which I don't believe isnthe case).

I'm not sure the solution but one thing you can do is;

turn off photo library and delete all the library photos that are on your phone or iPads physical device. library is still holding all photos. Once cleared you can turn photo library back on, which should bring all the optimized size items back.

This is a bit tedious but should reduce the space used if you really need it.

How can I delete photos from my iPhone without losing them on my iCloud Library too?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.