Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I have to have a mac newer than OSX 10.6.8 to upgrade Safari?

Can i upgrade my Imac 21 inches OSX 10.6.8 to a Safari Browser that is higher than 5.1.10? My adobe flash player stops working on a regular basis. I re-install the adobe flash player, but it does not work long. Is there a problem with my Safari? Is there a problem with the plug ins. What should I try? Lastly are updated browsers only updated with a new operating system?

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), osx 10.6.8

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 10:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2015 6:59 PM

No. You need to upgrade OS X to upgrade the browser.

Upgrading to Yosemite

You can upgrade to Yosemite from Lion or directly from Snow Leopard. Yosemite can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for FREE.

Upgrading to Yosemite

To upgrade to Yosemite you must have Snow Leopard 10.6.8 or Lion installed. Download Yosemite from the App Store. Sign in using your Apple ID. Yosemite is free. The file is quite large, over 5 GBs, so allow some time to download. It would be preferable to use Ethernet because it is nearly four times faster than wireless.

OS X Mavericks/Yosemite- System Requirements

Macs that can be upgraded to OS X Yosemite

1. iMac (Mid 2007 or newer) - Model Identifier 7,1 or later

2. MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer) - Model Identifier 5,1 or later

3. MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

4. MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer) - Model Identifier 2,1 or later

5. Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

6. Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

7. Xserve (Early 2009) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

To find the model identifier open System Profiler in the Utilities folder. It's displayed in the panel on the right.

Are my applications compatible?

See App Compatibility Table - RoaringApps.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2015 6:59 PM in response to patton820

No. You need to upgrade OS X to upgrade the browser.

Upgrading to Yosemite

You can upgrade to Yosemite from Lion or directly from Snow Leopard. Yosemite can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for FREE.

Upgrading to Yosemite

To upgrade to Yosemite you must have Snow Leopard 10.6.8 or Lion installed. Download Yosemite from the App Store. Sign in using your Apple ID. Yosemite is free. The file is quite large, over 5 GBs, so allow some time to download. It would be preferable to use Ethernet because it is nearly four times faster than wireless.

OS X Mavericks/Yosemite- System Requirements

Macs that can be upgraded to OS X Yosemite

1. iMac (Mid 2007 or newer) - Model Identifier 7,1 or later

2. MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer) - Model Identifier 5,1 or later

3. MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

4. MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer) - Model Identifier 2,1 or later

5. Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

6. Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

7. Xserve (Early 2009) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

To find the model identifier open System Profiler in the Utilities folder. It's displayed in the panel on the right.

Are my applications compatible?

See App Compatibility Table - RoaringApps.

May 4, 2015 1:08 PM in response to patton820

OR take the much easier method and download and install and learn to use another web browser like Mozilla FireFox

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox

The current, up-to-date version of FireFox is still fully compatible with OS X 10.6.8 and is regularly updated by the great developers of the Mozilla group.

I have, also, stopped using the Google search engine regularly (due to Google's privacy policies or lack thereof) and I now use DuckDuckGo as my default search engine.

Do I have to have a mac newer than OSX 10.6.8 to upgrade Safari?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.