Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Early 2008 Mac Pro to run Yosemite?

Hello all.

I have an early 2008 Mac Pro 3.1 with quad-core Intel Xeon and I am trying to do a clean install of Yosemite with a bootable USB flash drive. When I power up the machine (while holding option key) I see the Yosemite installer. I double click it. I get the apple logo with the progress bar across the bottom, but it only gets about 25% of the way and then I get the circle with a line. Any ideas? I have upgraded the EFI per (EFI and SMC firmware updates for Intel-based Macs - Apple Support)

Thank you!

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 11:26 AM

3 replies

Apr 28, 2015 11:32 AM in response to JMur99

The installer flash drive is defective or you don't have a 2008 MP.

Upgrading to Yosemite

You can upgrade to Yosemite from Lion or directly from Snow Leopard. Yosemite can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for FREE.

Upgrading to Yosemite

To upgrade to Yosemite you must have Snow Leopard 10.6.8 or Lion installed. Download Yosemite from the App Store. Sign in using your Apple ID. Yosemite is free. The file is quite large, over 5 GBs, so allow some time to download. It would be preferable to use Ethernet because it is nearly four times faster than wireless.

OS X Mavericks/Yosemite- System Requirements

Macs that can be upgraded to OS X Yosemite

1. iMac (Mid 2007 or newer) - Model Identifier 7,1 or later

2. MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer) - Model Identifier 5,1 or later

3. MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

4. MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer) - Model Identifier 2,1 or later

5. Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

6. Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

7. Xserve (Early 2009) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

To find the model identifier open System Profiler in the Utilities folder. It's displayed in the panel on the right.

Are my applications compatible?

See App Compatibility Table - RoaringApps.

Apr 28, 2015 12:05 PM in response to JMur99

How did you make bootable Yosemite installer on USB memory?

My case:

1) format USB memory with DiskUtility, named "Untitled"

2) open Terminal.app, then type

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app --nointeraction

Early 2008 Mac Pro to run Yosemite?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.