Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tattoos and the Apple Watch

Hi All,

I am a early apple watch adopter and I have recently been having some issues with the notifications appearing from time to time (pun intended).

I contacted apple support on a few occasions without much luck they've told me I may need to go in to the store for a possible replacement 😟

However today I have been playing around and noticed that although the apple watch doesn't seem to work on one of my arms which is heavily tattooed it does work perfectly on the other which doesn't have any ink where a sensor is placed. I imagine the ink is having an affect on the sensor which detects skin pigment although i haven't had this confirmed by apple and this could be me talking out of my backside but there maybe a possible connection.

I appreciate everyone has different livestyle choices (and there is a human being writing this so please be kind) but thought I'd pass this on in case this might help anyone else having the same issues.

Ben.

Watch Standard 38mm, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 11:58 AM

10 replies

Apr 28, 2015 1:21 PM in response to 22xxxWC

When I was wearing the watch on my left arm which has some quite dark colour I noticed that i wasn't receiving text or email notifications but everything else seemed to operate as normal. Just seen this article which sums up the problems i've been having: http://www.imore.com/heres-why-apple-watch-does-not-play-nice-with-some-tattoos

I'm off to the apple store tomorrow so I can discuss it further with them.

Apr 30, 2015 7:44 AM in response to Ben Fitton

Ah, finally someone that is having the same issue. I took mine to the genius bar and they were pretty dumbfounded about what to do. They wanted to send it off for a week, but I declined because even if they send me a new one, it doesn't fix the problem.

I think we might just have to wait for an update or something. Have you heard anything back? Or have you guys found any combination of settings that is good for the inklings like us?

Apr 30, 2015 7:58 AM in response to Ben Fitton

So went to the Apple store (in UK) and after a few tests the Genuis all but confirmed that it was my tattoos causing the issue but saldy no official company response as of yet. However, the best thing I can suggest is switching off wrist detection and do not use the password (Sadly disables Apple Pay for those that have it) and this seems to enable to at least use about 95% of the watches capibilities.

Hope this helps.

Ben.

Tattoos and the Apple Watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.