Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I have to buy new version of Numbers to open my files? I can't open them, help!

I updated the operating system to Yosemite and still Numbers files won't open. Any tips?

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 11:01 AM

5 replies

Apr 28, 2015 9:19 PM in response to t quinn

I have Numbers '09. When I try to open file I get a box that says "You need a newer version of Numbers to open this spreadsheet". "You can download the latest version of Numbers from the Mac App Store." I created this file last week on the same computer!

Looks like that latest version costs 19.99. I read on some forum that I just needed to upgrade to the latest Yosemite, which I did. It seemed to work temporarily? But now it won't open.

Apr 29, 2015 10:09 AM in response to susanemcd

Hi susan,

I think you have both Numbers '09 and Numbers 3 on your computer. I think the file you created last week is 3 and you are trying to open it in '09.

The icon for the most recent Numbers 3.5 looks like this:

User uploaded file

Numbers 3.5 should be in applications. In your applications folder you will have an iWork '09 folder. Numbers '09 should be in there. You can have them both open at the same time so it can get confusing.

quinn

Do I have to buy new version of Numbers to open my files? I can't open them, help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.