Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Network accounts cannot connect to server with SMB

Hi everyone,

I'm running a 2010 Mac Pro with Mavericks + Server. Out of nowhere, users with network credentials are no longer able to access the server via SMB. People with Macs can still access it using AFP, but those on PCs can't unless they have access to the local profile I put on the server. Any ideas what could be causing it, or what can fix it? It was working fine right up until this afternoon, and nothing has changed settings-wise. I'm not even sure where in the logs to look.

More info available if needed.

Thanks!

Server-OTHER, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 11:12 AM

3 replies

Apr 28, 2015 12:15 PM in response to jepping

All the PC clients have been rebooted.

At the moment, I can't reboot the server or stop filesharing services. We're in the middle of a huge crunch. I can do it tonight though if need be.

Thing is, I just rebooted the server last night. I haven't a clue what could have happened in the 12 or so hours that would make SMB unavailable.

Apr 28, 2015 11:27 PM in response to djb482

For just the windows clients, you can stop the smbd process.

That will restart the smb file sharing only and not afp.

I have seen it before that smb just won't work correctly after a reboot, and the process needs to stopped like this, a reboot also works.

Go to the activity viewer, choose all processes and stop the one called smbd.

Goodluck

Jeffrey

Network accounts cannot connect to server with SMB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.