Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos Background Activity killing a lot of battery

Since I updated and activated iCloud Photo my Photos app is killing a lot of battery:

User uploaded file

I tried to deactivate the iCloud Photo service but it said something about deleting the pictures so I did not proceed.

How can I resolve this problem?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.2

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 1:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 1:34 PM

Wait for it to finish syncing photos. It should then reduce the battery drain.

And also keep in mind that those usage figures are all percentages, and they must add up to 100%. So if most other functions use very little battery that will make the few that use energy look like they are using more, even though it may not be using that much total energy. The real question is what is the actual battery life, as shown under Usage.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2015 1:34 PM in response to angelozehr

Wait for it to finish syncing photos. It should then reduce the battery drain.

And also keep in mind that those usage figures are all percentages, and they must add up to 100%. So if most other functions use very little battery that will make the few that use energy look like they are using more, even though it may not be using that much total energy. The real question is what is the actual battery life, as shown under Usage.

Apr 29, 2015 12:45 PM in response to angelozehr

Hello Angelozehr

I have over 20,000 photos that were syncing via the cloud. On all devices it will consume an ample amount of battery life during the initial sync period. Be brave and wait. If you go into Settings>Photos & Camera you can see a status bar that will tell you if it is uploading/downloading/preparing, with a status bar.

Hope this gives you some clarity.

Cheers

Apr 29, 2015 12:58 PM in response to angelozehr

Anytime.

Typically it won't upload files over cellular. You would have to be on wifi. Does it say WiFi-Required..?

If not, I would recommend waiting until your are on wifi and look then.

If that still doesn't solve, I had to rebuild my 6 plus after the most recent update only because I noticed I was having some lag while syncing photos. It may be worth giving a shot before taking it in to the apple store.

Apr 29, 2015 2:32 PM in response to AmishCake

AmishCake wrote:

Don't keep that many photos on your phone to solve this issue - import them to your computer.

But that goes against the primary intent of the new iCloud Photo feature which the OP has enabled -- i.e. let the photos upload from your device to your iCloud Photo library, and then propagate to your computer and other devices.

Photos Background Activity killing a lot of battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.