Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I stop all tracks on an album playing automatically?

I use my iPod Classic to play backing tracks in my band. I have all our songs in one Album and want to be able to trigger tracks one at a time. But as one track ends the next one starts automatically. I want to be able to trigger the next track myself, when we're ready for it. I know I could choose 'Song' from the menu but I have a lot of my own albums on the iPod and it would take ages to find the single song I want. Is there are an easy way to accomplish what I'm trying to do? Thank you.

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 12:18 PM

3 replies

Apr 28, 2015 1:22 PM in response to SkylineUK

Uncheck the songs in iTunes. Change the sync selection options so that you can include unchecked songs. When playling an album or playlist that only contains unchecked songs you should find that the iPod pauses when each track completes and you can manually select the next track to play when ready.

An alteranative approch would be a playlist with long silent tracks between each backing track, and you skip past the current silence when you are set.

tt2

Apr 28, 2015 2:20 PM in response to SkylineUK

1. A further alternative is to set each of your own songs (in your iTunes Library) to Skip When Shuffling. Since you already have these songs in one album, you shouldn't need to create a Playlist for the album, but you can if you wish.
  2. Sync the changed songs to your iPod. If you use Sync to manage your iPod, then a simple Sync should effect the changed songs on the iPod as well.
  3. Now, on the iPod, select Settings/Shuffle>Songs. Do not use the Shuffle Songs on the Main Menu, this trick doesn't work if you do. You have to set shuffle on the Settings menu.
  4. Now, on the Albums menu, navigate to your album and select the first song. When it ends, the iPod will stop (because every other song in your album is set to skip when shuffling.
  5. At your leisure, you select the next song that you want and start it playing. When it ends, the same thing happens, the iPod stops.

If you created a Playlist (in step 1.) then at step 4, navigate to that Playlist and start your first song playing. Again, when it ends, the iPod will stop since every other song in the Playlist is set to skip when shuffling.

How can I stop all tracks on an album playing automatically?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.