Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the best virus/malware protection for Mac?

I'm using Sophos but not happy as it won't delete virus/malware that it has detected on my computer. What is the best protection for a MacBook Pro? Help!

Thanks,

Jerry

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 11:42 AM

6 replies

Apr 28, 2015 12:06 PM in response to wettercoast

If you provide the info for the malware (the name it is identified as or a CVE identifier) we may be able to suggest if it is actually harming your Mac. It's possible that it is a piece of Windows malware that is not harming the Mac OS & simply deleting it may be suffice. OS X blocks known malware, but other adware may need removing manually. Apple provide this info for the adware…

Remove unwanted adware that displays pop-up ads and graphics on your Mac - Apple Support

Apr 29, 2015 6:22 PM in response to wettercoast

wettercoast wrote:

I'm using Sophos but not happy as it won't delete virus/malware that it has detected on my computer.

That's because it's adware, not malware. Annoying, but not malicious. It's considered a Potentially Unwanted Application/Process (PUA/PUP) since you likely installed it by accident. It's easy enough to remove yourself, but if you feel you need a tool, then AdwareMedic is what you want.

What is the best virus/malware protection for Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.