Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issues w/Boot Camp and Win7 Partitioning

I have Google'd, spoken to Apple over the phone, wiped my computer, verified/repaired disks, and more, yet I still can't get this to work again!

Sunday: I installed Win7 with Boot Camp, worked just fine! The only problem was that when I rebooted to activate the Win7, the keyboard and mouse did not work. Since I'm impulsive, I decided to just reinstall it using Boot Camp, again. Only this time... it wouldn't work. It would do everything as usual and give me an error when it came to partitioning the disk.

Monday: I wiped my computer fully (because I found I had a memory issue), ran boot camp three times and still it wouldn't work again! I called Apple and they told me to turn off the firewall and decrypt. Done! Ran Boot Camp, and Win7 still wouldn't partition.

I read about verifying the disk by rebooting mac to the single user mode. Tried, and the disk checks out just fine.

Tuesday (Today): I read about needing NTFS-3G and MacFuse; downloaded them both. Ran Boot Camp again, and still it would do everything except partition. I called Apple and spoke to a senior tech supervisor, who ran troubleshooting steps with me again, and still nothing.

It is the third day I'm doing this and I still can't find a solution!! It worked the first time, except the drivers, but I had no problem in the partition stage!

I'm pretty good with computers and IT basic IT work but this has me, Apple Care, and my personal IT friends stumped!! Anyone know of another plan?

Any help would be great at this point... Gracias!

-Raysa

MacBook Air (11-inch, Early 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 11:44 AM

7 replies

Apr 28, 2015 2:40 PM in response to RaysaOrtiz

Can you post the output of the following Terminal commands?

diskutil list

diskutil cs list

sudo gpt -vv -r show /dev/disk0

sudo fdisk /dev/disk0

The "sudo" commands will prompt for your password, and it will not be echoed back. You may also see a warning about improper use of "sudo" and potential data loss due to "abuse" of the command.

Apr 28, 2015 6:13 PM in response to RaysaOrtiz

1. Did you turn off 'firewall' or FileVault?

2. What was the partitioning error? Can you try it now and post a screen shot?

3. Your original problem was that after W7 installed successfully via the drivers made available in the Preboot Environment (this is on these in $WinPEDrivers$ folder), but BC drivers (silently) failed to install properly. This caused your KM not work after the reboot.

4. Yosemite defaults to a CS volume. I would not recommend using a CS volume. HFS+ is a much easier and proven format.

5. Do you have a TM Backup?

Apr 29, 2015 6:42 AM in response to Loner T

1. Yes, firewall was turned off and later decrypted

2. The partition error read "An error occurred while partitioning your disk"

3. That is correct.

4. Ok

5. I did not have a TM backup. I didn't select it initially when I first bought and opened the mac, so now it gives me an issue in starting it. It tells me my 32GB drive isn't enough to store it on, and that Airport option never works.

Update: My IT friend ended up wiping the whole computer, installing Yosemite again and then it worked. He thinks the disk was somehow partitioned and not showing, causing the boot camp not to run properly.

It finally worked. He had to wipe the whole computer, reformat the HD completely, the long way (not quick format), and then as soon as it booted up, we used boot camp and installed win7 just fine. 🙂

I appreciate your help in all of this Loner T! Thank you for taking an interest and caring to help!

Issues w/Boot Camp and Win7 Partitioning

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.