Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use my MacBookPro to video and add audio?

I have a MacBookPro 2.4 Ghz OS 10.9.5. vintage 2012.

I would like to make a video of a musical performance , adding the CD quality audio after final mixing. The quality of the audio is more important than the video. Can this be done with iphoto and/or imovie? Thanks for any help.

Steven

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 1:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 5:01 PM

Yes, the audio clip can be separate from the video. If the sound is the more important (and presumably needs to be continuous) I would think you would want to start with the sound and add the video clips second. The main difficulty will be synchronising video to the sound at all points in the timeline.

Geoff.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2015 5:01 PM in response to Jagsalmarmurarer

Yes, the audio clip can be separate from the video. If the sound is the more important (and presumably needs to be continuous) I would think you would want to start with the sound and add the video clips second. The main difficulty will be synchronising video to the sound at all points in the timeline.

Geoff.

Apr 28, 2015 5:17 PM in response to GeeD

To try to be clearer: I would like my duo to perform on a video. I want to record the audio simultaneously, using Mark of the Unicorn 8Pre and 896 (firewire interfaces) stored on a thunderbolt harddrive. The interfaces have the ability to use a clock, from the Mac, or from the interfaces themselves, which would be nice to lock in on video. I don't have any idea if the MacBookPro can record or create a sync in the video. Then, the audio will be tweeked/mixed for optmal sound. If there is no common clock, will the digital sound be in sync with the video, using a clapboard at the start? Could I drop frames of the video if it gets out of sync? I can live with raggedy video if I must.

I appreciate that this displays my ignorance of Apple video. I have worked professionally making music for videos, but have always worked for video producers with high rent equipment, and great skills. I need to work on the cheap with what I have or can borrow to make some videos to get gigs. I appreciate any advice.

Steven

Apr 29, 2015 2:17 AM in response to Jagsalmarmurarer

I'm not familiar enough with this to be able to help much. If I understand correctly, the video will be recorded completely separately from the audio so there will potentially be sync problems. Syncing at the start is just a matter of moving the video clips along the timeline which can be done quite 'finely' (I think its steps of 1 frame). The bigger problem is if it goes out of sync later. You can speed up or slow down video clips in steps of 1% which are probably too big. You would probably have to split the video into sections then shorten them or add frames here and there but again I think the available adjustments in iMovie 10 may be too crude and the 'magnetic timeline' (video clips automatically join each other without gaps) would not help.

I think it would be much easier using Final Cut Pro X where you can position pieces of a video clip independently, and subsequently mask the joins by adding transitions. If you have multiple angles of the performance, transitions between these would be places where the video could be re-syncronised.

I hope this may help - others with experience of this may want to chime in

Geoff.

Can I use my MacBookPro to video and add audio?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.