Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo

how do i migrate from iPhoto to Photo if my existing library is on an external drive

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011)

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 1:46 PM

6 replies

Apr 28, 2015 2:17 PM in response to Loadsa1

I think it may be as the commands i am using assume the library is in its default position, but mine isn't The command i have used so far are as below

Photos was unable to make a copy of your library before preparing it. Photos does not have the necessary permissions..."

This alert usually means there are incorrect permissions for the folder that contains your photo library.

If your photo library is in its default location in the Pictures folder, use this set of Terminal commands to set new permissions:

1. Open the Terminal app.

2. Type the following command and press Return. Substitute the name of your user account for your_username.

sudo chown -R your_username /Users/your_username/Pictures

3. When prompted, type your OS X user account password and press Return.

4. Type the following command and press Return. Substitute the name of your user account for your_username.

sudo chmod -R 700 /Users/your_username/Pictures

5. Quit Photos, then hold down the Option key and open Photos.

6. When Photos asks you to choose a library, try to migrate the library again.

Apr 28, 2015 2:38 PM in response to Loadsa1

Its okay - chatting it through made me think again - i think its working.

fyi - i checked the permissions on my ext drive. They were set to read only for my profile for what ever reason therefor not allowing Photo write access

I have changes the permissions using finder/ info etc and it seems to be doing its thing!!

Thanks for trying , and indirectly you di help

Cheers

Gary

Photo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.