Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I download heart rate data to plot it?

After setting things up appropriately, the heart rate readings from the sensors in my Watch are correctly appearing within the Health App on my iPhone.

I can even see all of the every-10-minutes readings, in a list.

I need to be able to extract that data (time and heart rate) from the App so I can plot it in a spreadsheet, to show to my cardiologist.

I haven't been able to figure out how to do that.

Apple Watch, iOS 8.3, iPhone 6+

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 2:03 PM

15 replies

Feb 12, 2017 1:58 PM in response to jimdoc01

Hello,

I had this question too. I wanted just the raw data, for example the heart pulse.

With this tiny python script you can export from xml to csv.

Extract more data should be easy 😉

Open the .csv with numbers and plot...

#!/usr/bin/python

import sys

if (len(sys.argv) == 1 or len(sys.argv) == 2):

print("Usage: ./extractHeartRate.py imput.xml output.csv\n")

fileIn = open(sys.argv[1],'r')

fileOut = open(sys.argv[2],'w')

fileOut.write("Pulse\n")

for line in fileIn:

found = line.find("HKQuantityTypeIdentifierHeartRate", 0, len(line))

if found != -1:

extractBegin = line.find("value", 0, len(line))

extractBegin = line.find("\"", extractBegin, len(line))

extractEnd = line.find("\"",extractBegin+1, len(line))

#print(line[extractBegin+1:extractEnd])

fileOut.write(line[extractBegin+1:extractEnd]+"\n")

fileIn.close()

May 22, 2015 5:43 AM in response to nick101

I have the same issue : I would like to see the evolution of my heart beat during the day (especially when I was doing sport and see how long and when I reached my working heart beat level), but the app plots only a vertical bars for the day...

Exporting the data is one option, but I m looking for an app that can use the data to plot them in a more useful way than the health dashboard...

I tried several third part apps (runtastic, heartrate from runtastic, jawbone up etc..) , some of them are able to SEND data TO Health, but none of them are able to HANDLE data FROM Health...

My only solution - unless you have others ! (<-- it s also a question to the community) : working now with an external app to record my heart beat, instead of using Health.....Not really convenient

- And for Jimdoc101 - maybe you can find with another app a way to export your heart beat data in an easier fashion..

Does Apple want us to look to external apps now ?!.. If then it is a big change in their strategy 😁😁

Agree with Nick101, Apple should do something on this issue: the health dashboard is really under-the-par of what we see in the market (check heartrate, runtastic, under armour39...they are really nice.)

May 22, 2015 6:01 AM in response to steeve177

Does Apple want us to look to external apps now ?!.. If then it is a big change in their strategy 😁😁

Agree with Nick101, Apple should do something on this issue: the health dashboard is really under-the-par of what we see in the market (check heartrate, runtastic, under armour39...they are really nice.)

Yes, I'm sure Apple wants us to use 3rd party apps. That's been part of their strategy since they opened the App Store. The Healt app, by itself is not terribly useful. It is extremely useful, though as a way to get data from one app to another. I seem to recall that, when Apple first introduced Health and Health Kit, thats the way they pitched it. If Apple didn't want us to use 3rd party apps, they most likely wouldn't have made it as easy as it is to share data to and from the Health app. Until the release if the Apple Watch, the only way to get HR into Health, unless you wanted to do it manually, was by using a third party app. I like Instant Heartrate by Azumio.

I have several apps that wil read heart rate data from the Health app. As it happens, they don't do what the OP wants but there may well be others out there that do. Or, perhaps someone will write one.

Jun 24, 2015 10:25 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

The Apple watch logs heart rate every ten minutes but seems to keep only hourly summaries beyond 24 hours, and daily summaries after a week. Like others who have posted here, I would like to log episodes of bradycardia and tachycardia, which are easily missed in these summaries. I would therefore have to extract and filter the data daily. I have found a way to export the data to a spreadsheet and extract heart rate data, but it's time consuming. The steps are:

1. Export all data (this puts an xml file in my mailbox)

2. Convert the xml file to Excel. I do this online at https://tools.daemonservices.com/convert_xml_to_excel/

3. Filter the data to extract only the rows corresponding to heart rate

4. Convert the date code to something that Excel can work with (See a post by M und M, 17 Nov. 2014, Exporting Health app data)

5. Sort the heart rate data by date and time

6. Concatenate the new data to my running record

I really don't want to do this every day. So far I've been averaging once per week, and even that's a hassle. I could probably write a macro to automate some of the steps, but there must be a better way. I'm waiting anxiously for someone to create an app that will mine the 10-minute data for unusually high or low rates and give me a summary.

When I bought the watch, I had hoped that it would consistently indicate a high heart rate when I am having an A-fib flutter, but often as not, it shows a rate like 60 bpm when I can feel my heart racing at well over 150 bpm.

Jun 25, 2015 2:18 AM in response to Jim Bell

I think your best bet at present is to go to the link below and suggest these features to Apple. I would also expect that app developers will take advantage of the forthcoming WatchOS2 (due in the autmn) which offers 3rd part access to heart rate data. I'd be very surprised if someone doesn't produce an export/analysis utility.

It doesn't help that WatchOS 1.01 reduces the rate at which heart rate is monitored when you're not in a Workout. It may save battery, but it reduces its utility to people who need more or less constant rate monitoring.

I'd also consider reporitng the fact that heart rate is way off when you're in AF to Apple support - that's a potentially serious failure

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Jun 25, 2015 9:00 AM in response to jimdoc01

You guys are great online. I called Apple Support on this very question (well actually I only asked about heart rate download data) and was told that it might be option on the new watch this fall, but today i can only take screen shots of the data...... it is terrible when apple doesn't know the capabilities of their own watch. The Apple person told me that I could then retype the data from the pictures to put into a data sheet.

Thanks guys for your community help !! appreciate it

Jun 25, 2015 10:45 AM in response to Jim Bell

Jim Bell wrote:

The Apple watch logs heart rate every ten minutes but seems to keep only hourly summaries beyond 24 hours, and daily summaries after a week. Like others who have posted here, I would like to log episodes of bradycardia and tachycardia, which are easily missed in these summaries. I would therefore have to extract and filter the data daily. I have found a way to export the data to a spreadsheet and extract heart rate data, but it's time consuming. The steps are:

1. Export all data (this puts an xml file in my mailbox)

2. Convert the xml file to Excel. I do this online at https://tools.daemonservices.com/convert_xml_to_excel/

3. Filter the data to extract only the rows corresponding to heart rate

4. Convert the date code to something that Excel can work with (See a post by M und M, 17 Nov. 2014, Exporting Health app data)

5. Sort the heart rate data by date and time

6. Concatenate the new data to my running record

I really don't want to do this every day. So far I've been averaging once per week, and even that's a hassle. I could probably write a macro to automate some of the steps, but there must be a better way. I'm waiting anxiously for someone to create an app that will mine the 10-minute data for unusually high or low rates and give me a summary.

When I bought the watch, I had hoped that it would consistently indicate a high heart rate when I am having an A-fib flutter, but often as not, it shows a rate like 60 bpm when I can feel my heart racing at well over 150 bpm.

You might want to take a look at an app I learned about since I last posted. It's called QS Access. I believe it was written by the people from the Quantified Self website. It may do some of what you want.

How can I download heart rate data to plot it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.