Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WiFI issues after OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 update

Anyone else having wifi disconnect issues after installing OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 update?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), WiFI disconnects

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 2:55 PM

13 replies

Apr 30, 2015 9:53 AM in response to Alaska Gardens

Hello there, Alaska.

When confronting issues with wifi connectivity with your computer running OS X 10.10.3, the following Knowledge Base article provides some great in-depth knowledge on using Wireless Diagnostic that is built into Yosemite to determine where the problem derives:

About Wireless Diagnostics - Apple Support

This alternate article offers some additional information and recommendations if the issue persists with dropped connectivity:

How to troubleshoot Wi-Fi connectivity in OS X Lion or earlier - Apple Support

Once you've reviewed the "Preparation" steps take a look at:

Symptom: The network connection drops unexpectedly

• Your Mac may not not stay connected to your Wi-Fi network reliably.
  • Your Mac may stop accessing the Internet during use.

Solution

Use these steps if your computer disconnects from its Wi-Fi network unexpectedly.

1. Check your range to the Wi-Fi router and reduce the effect of interference.

If your computer is too far from your Wi-Fi router or your environment has too much Wi-Fi interference, then your computer may not detect the Wi-Fi network properly. The easiest way to check for range limits with your Wi-Fi network is to move your computer or your Wi-Fi router closer together and make sure that there are no obstructions (such as walls, cabinets, and so forth) between the router and your computer.

See Potential sources of wireless interference for more information about interference and solutions.
  2. Try connecting to a different Wi-Fi network. If your computer works fine when connected to a different Wi-Fi network, then the issue may be related to your network router or ISP. In that case, contact the manufacturer of your router or your ISP.

These articles can also be helpful when you have Wi-Fi issues:

If your symptom is not listed, or the above steps do not resolve the issue, search the Apple Support website for the symptom you are seeing or contact AppleCare for more help.

Thanks for participating in the Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Pedro.

May 10, 2015 11:04 AM in response to Alaska Gardens

Im having this same problem since updated to Yosemite..frankly, Im getting sick n tired of this.

its NOT a problem related to my router or computer. I have an Imac and a MacBoock Pro, both running Yosemite 10.10.3 and both having the same issues after installing Yosemite.

I have other laptops running windows and none of them are having any issue..so Its not ME, its APPLE. So PLEASE, solve it.

May 18, 2015 9:45 AM in response to Alaska Gardens

Hi all,

I having the same problem, but only with some networks. Unfortunately, since I am not the owner of the router, I have no info about the router that is giving me the problem.

So far, the only strategy that works for me is turning off the bluetooth, which is really a problem for as I heavily use both bluetooth mouse and keyboard.

I am using a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014) with OS X 10.10.3. The problems started when I updated to Yosemite.

This really needs to be fixed.

May 21, 2015 3:03 PM in response to pedro d

There is a serious issue with Wifi connectivity. Its not just for one every body is facing same issue. Its not a mere coincidence for 10 people have wifi connectivity issue at every location they go to.

There are nearly 10 to 15 people in my office who use mac book pro's and every body have the same issue. We are all not just facing issues at Office but we also are facing the same issue at Home and other wifi locations.

We have changed our wireless routers and at least we have 4 to 5 routers of different make. Dont say that my network has a problem to deal with.

While we the mac book users face this wifi issue my colleagues with widows laptop never lost a bit.

And most of us currently use our macbook pro laptops as DESKTOPS with wired connections.

Wireless diagnostics is one insane thing on earth. It suggests me to move closer to wifi router (My wifi router is just beside me, i cant move any further).

Dont know why APPLE is not ready to fix it!!! Am at least ready to provide any diagnostic information APPLE wants to fix this but they are not ready to take it.

May 27, 2015 2:13 AM in response to pedro d

The only thing that I have found that helps is turning off Photos. My photo library is quite large and I cannot connect to the internet when photos is trying to upload my pics to iCloud. If I chose preferences in photos and choose pause, I can immediately connect to the internet. I am trying resuming the upload when I am not using the internet, but it is taking forever to upload my photos. I don't know if my ISP is throttling me down or if it is related directly to Photos. My ISP claims that they aren't the issue and I am nowhere near my limits. I am slowly getting there. Since I posted my question, I have managed to upload about 12,000 of my 18,000 photos to iCloud. SIGH..........................

May 27, 2015 2:18 AM in response to Alaska Gardens

Suffering from the wifi disconnection problem reported by many others (it started with 10.10.2 but became much worse with 10.10.3) I tried every one of the squillion suggestions posted, including: every possible arrangement and adjustment of network preferences, rebuilding the system config files, turning off Bluetooth DUN and AWDL from the terminal, resetting SMC and PRAM, flushing the DNS cache, fiddling with the keychain, and more. No effect at all. In the end I disaggregated the bands on my router (BT Homehub 4) and switched from 5GHz to 2.4. Wifi has now been stable for over a week. No idea why but would be grateful if anyone could enlighten me, and I hope the suggestion may be helpful to others. I've been going round for a couple of years saying that nothing would induce me to return to Windows, but another experience like this will strain my loyalty.

Jun 26, 2015 10:20 AM in response to pigglywriggly

This is a good call sir many thanks! Months of frustration and pouring over so many articles, forums, engineer colleagues. All for nowt. So found this thread and your post as a last fling . Hooray it's worked!!! Helped with this persistent issue of wifi dropout. No deterioration in signal strength either. Ditching the 5ghz has (so far) given me a stable signal. Cheers for the advice !

Jul 8, 2015 12:05 PM in response to Eric Root

I updated to OS X Yosemite 10.10.4 last week and noticed about two days ago that my WiFi stopped working. Everything is else is fine. I am able to Network with other computers, etc. I tried many fixes to no avail and finally reinstalling OS X 10.10 solved my issue. I thought nothing of it and upgraded again to OS X 10.10.4 and right away the WiFi stopped working a second time. So, I reinstalled OS X Yosemite 10.10 and my WiFi is again fine. I will stay away from OS X 10.10.4 until Apple fixes this issue. Apple stated that WiFi issues was fixed with OS X Yosemite 10.10.4; but it is not for my Early 2011 MacBook Pro. Is anyone else experiencing this issue? If so, reinstall OS X 10.10 up to 10.10.3; but stay away from 10.10.4.

WiFI issues after OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.