Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

bluetooth pane has gone missing since update from 10.10.2 to 10.10.3 on iMac mid 2007

I have a iMac mid 2007 model. I was running os x 10.10.2 with no problems. I update to os x 10.10.3 for the security issue. Now my bluetooth pane has gone missing from system preferences. I have tried everything suggested in suggested in support as it seems others have suffered the same thing on different macs. Nothing has that was suggested there has corrected this issue. Does anyone have any ideas apart from using a wired mouse and keyboard or using time machine to revert to os x 10.10.2? Let me know please.

Also booting up is slow to say the least, I can live with that though unless there is an as yet unknown by me fix.

iMac (24-inch Mid 2007), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 1:58 PM

8 replies

Apr 28, 2015 3:06 PM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

regarding bluetooth issue,

I have installed the combo update

I had reset the SMC (at least I following instructions to do this but I do not know how to confirm that it was done as iMac was running so slow during boot)

I had reset the pram (at least I following instructions to do this but I do not know how to confirm that it was done as I could not get second chime plus iMac was running so slow during boot)

I have run disk disk utility by holing down option key on boot up

Held down the D key to run hardware test (nothing happened, iMac just booted up slowly as per before so I am not sure i have the hardware test software anymore)

Deleted the com.apple.Bluetooth.plist from /Library/Preferences

My first mac was a classic back in 1988, have had many others in between then and now, never had a problem that could not be solved by myself or via a book or online support. This bluetooth problem is nothing unusual, if I am having this issue so is someone else with the exact same iMac. My macbook airs (one from 2011 and one from 2014) both have no 10.10.3 issues. Let me know if I am missing something that might correct the bluetooth issue please.

Cheers

Apr 28, 2015 5:56 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks Linc. I had tried this suggestion, forgot to mention it though.

Nothing shows up regarding bluetooth in the view list so I cannot turn this preference on. I did however find a file named bluetooth.prefpane version 4.3.4 in the PreferencePanes folder within the library folder. Can't think why I did not look there before rather than what I had done which was run a find for anything named bluetooth or with bluetooth in its name. For some reason it will not load and appear in the system preferences though. I would bet that some other non apple software file (unknown as yet) is causing this issue.

I am sure I can think of a few more things I can do if i want to spend the time doing them over the next few days.

Again thank you....

Apr 28, 2015 6:01 PM in response to velouring

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a test, not a solution. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

Step 1

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is localized to your user account.

Enable guest logins* and log in as Guest. Don't use the Safari-only “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac.”

While logged in as Guest, you won’t have access to any of your documents or settings. Applications will behave as if you were running them for the first time. Don’t be alarmed by this behavior; it’s normal. If you need any passwords or other personal data in order to complete the test, memorize, print, or write them down before you begin.

Test while logged in as Guest. Same problem?

After testing, log out of the guest account and, in your own account, disable it if you wish. Any files you created in the guest account will be deleted automatically when you log out of it.

*Note: If you’ve activated “Find My Mac” or FileVault, then you can’t enable the Guest account. The “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac” is not the same. Create a new account in which to test, and delete it, including its home folder, after testing.

Step 2

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party system modifications that load automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Please take this step regardless of the results of Step 1.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. You must hold down the shift key twice: once when you turn on the computer, and again when you log in.

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to start up and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, restart as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of Steps 1 and 2.

Apr 29, 2015 7:06 PM in response to velouring

If you don't already have a current backup, back up all data, then reinstall the OS.* You don't need to erase the startup volume, and you won't need the backup unless something goes wrong. If the system was upgraded from an older version of OS X, you may need the Apple ID and password you used.

There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional. Ask if you need guidance.

If you installed the Java runtime distributed by Apple and still need it, you'll have to reinstall it. The same goes for Xcode. All other data will be preserved.

*The linked support article refers to OS X 10.10 ("Yosemite"), but the procedure is the same for OS X 10.7 ("Lion") and later.

bluetooth pane has gone missing since update from 10.10.2 to 10.10.3 on iMac mid 2007

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.