Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not understanding something about margins and header

Pages 2 5.5.3

Mac OS 10.10.2

I'm trying to rap my head around how pages does headers.

I think of a header as a place were stuff goes so that it occurs at the top of each page. I would expect it to be positioned at the bottom of the top margin. For instance, with a top margin of .5 in and a header of 1. in, I would expect my header stuff to start at .5 in and my non header stuff to start at 1.5 in.

This is what I observed. Her are a couple of clarifications to start:

–All measures are vertical measures

–Origin represents the offset were an object placed at zero in the body of the document appears.

Top Margin, set to .5 in. Origin at .5 in as expected.

-Add a 1 in header. origin moves to 1 in. I would expect the origin to move to 1.5 in, .5 in top margin + 1 in for the header.

-Add some 24 pt text to the header and the origin moves down even further, by at least a 1/3 in (24/72). Since 1/3 in is clearly less than one in, i would not expect the origin to change at all since the text would easily fit within 1 in.

This is what i am seeing. Without a header, the origin is the height of the top margin. The header appears to ignore the top margin and makes its start at the header height and grows downward from there. This seems wrong.

Can someone steer me straight?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 3:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 4:24 PM

A good way to understand how these document parts interplay is to open a blank document, and from the view menu, choose show layout. You will see the header/footer, and the document body displayed. Now choose Document from the Toolbar.

The top margin is the distance from the top edge of the page to the top edge of the document body. The header floats in this top margin space. The default 0.5 inch header setting is the distance from the top of the page to the top of the header box itself. Reduce the top/bottom margins and the document body grows in those respective directions. Even if the top margin is set to 0 inch, the document body will not expand above the bottom of the default header box, until the header position is reduced, or the header is removed in the Document panel.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2015 4:24 PM in response to StephenM

A good way to understand how these document parts interplay is to open a blank document, and from the view menu, choose show layout. You will see the header/footer, and the document body displayed. Now choose Document from the Toolbar.

The top margin is the distance from the top edge of the page to the top edge of the document body. The header floats in this top margin space. The default 0.5 inch header setting is the distance from the top of the page to the top of the header box itself. Reduce the top/bottom margins and the document body grows in those respective directions. Even if the top margin is set to 0 inch, the document body will not expand above the bottom of the default header box, until the header position is reduced, or the header is removed in the Document panel.

Not understanding something about margins and header

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.