Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where are logic audio samples stored?

I'm trying to find where the logic audio samples are located in Finder. I can't find them in Library/ Application Support/ Logic/

iBook, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 3:57 PM

6 replies

Apr 29, 2015 8:26 AM in response to giffy_1983

It depends which samples you are referring to:

All the audio samples based on the EXS24 Sample (including the Drum Kit Designer Samples) are stored in the "EXS Factory Samples" folder and the ones based on the Ultrabeat instrument are stored n the "Ultrabeat Samples" folder.

These are all the Logic factory samples stored in the system directory.

All the user created samples are stored in the user directory ~/Music/ Audio Music Apps/

Audio FIles for the Apple Loops are stored in a different location /Library/Audio/

User uploaded file

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Apr 29, 2015 9:13 PM in response to EdgarRothermich

Yeah I have looked there. Those two folders 'EXS Factory Samples' and Ultrabeat Samples' aren't visual. I can use all my samples in Logic but can't view them in finder. Apple has them hidden or something. I think it happened since getting Logic Pro X and recent updates. I want to find them so I can tag them in categories and make my own custom sample instruments.

Apr 30, 2015 9:37 PM in response to giffy_1983

Which Library directory are you talking about? The System Library or the User Library.

System Library:

If you drill down from the top level, your hard drive then you should see something similar to my screenshot

User Library:

The User Library is hidden by default. You have to make it visible first to access the Logic folder. When you click on the Go Menu in the Finder, hold down the option key and the Library should appear in the menu. This opens the User Library. However, you don't need that step, because the Logic folder inside the User Library directory is mirrored to the following folder ~/Music/ Audio Music Apps/

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

May 1, 2015 3:14 AM in response to EdgarRothermich

Careful with putting the words System and Library together. I gave a couple of people I know some similar instructions and they went straight to

HD / System / Library

instead of:

HD / Library / Application Support

It was because I said 'Go to your system library (not your user library)'. I can see why they did what they did because they followed my instructions to the letter. I assumed too much. Now I make sure I'm always clear. I forget how a lot of people are a little bit intimidated when digging around for things.

Your instructions, of course, are bang on correct, just thought I'd chime in on an aside.

May 1, 2015 8:29 AM in response to octopi

octopi wrote:

Careful with putting the words System and Library together. I gave a couple of people I know some similar instructions and they went straight to

HD / System / Library

instead of:

HD / Library / Application Support

Good point. I never thought of that.

Do you know if there is a common term for that specific Library, like "Root Level Library Directory"?

May 2, 2015 12:29 PM in response to EdgarRothermich

Actually, no I don't. Been thinking about this for a while and I think it gets trickier. Changes in the OS make mounted volumes invisible unless you change the Finder prefs to display them so it can even get confusing saying

HD / Library etc.

A coder, I spose, would always say use an absolute path but strictly speaking that would be

/Library/Application Support

or

/Users/<your username>/Library

the first / meaning root, 'most' people though, do recognise the ~ as their own user path, but should we assume this?

Hmmmm, need coffee……..

Where are logic audio samples stored?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.