Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to import direct from Dropbox?

IMovie supports Dropbox intigration and gives you the selection to choose dropbox as a location however it shows no files. Doesn't even give you the location to browse folders... Toggled on and off, does not effect ability to export to dropbox when toggled off so that leads me to believe it is a toggle for importing but can't figure out where to browse for the files.. additionally I tried using the dropbox app to see if I can export from the dropbox app to IMovie and that also was not an option... since as you can imagine with vid files, space is a big limitation, I hate to export from dropbox to camera roll, then import into imovie as now we are doubleing the space used. Any ideas?????

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 3:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2016 4:41 AM

If anyone is looking for the answer to getting a video file into imovie (on ipad in my case) through Dropbox..it can be done.

I had recorded footage taken on a webcam

I put this through Handbrake

I uploaded the file to Dropbox (150MB)

In the Dropbox app on my ipad, I went to the 'Recents' tab.

Click/highlight the video (mine was an .mp4 file)

Now look at the top right hand corner of the screen - the little dots - tap them

Tap 'Export'

Another box will open with apps and other boxes to choose from - you need to tap 'Open In' (it will appear in grayscale)

Scroll across until you see 'Copy to imovie'

It will start exporting

Then, when it's finished. Open up imovie

Open up your Project you are adding the video to

Under the Media tab, go to Video

Under the Video tab, go to 'iMovie Media'

And that's where your video will be!

Hoorah!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2016 4:41 AM in response to zzghost

If anyone is looking for the answer to getting a video file into imovie (on ipad in my case) through Dropbox..it can be done.

I had recorded footage taken on a webcam

I put this through Handbrake

I uploaded the file to Dropbox (150MB)

In the Dropbox app on my ipad, I went to the 'Recents' tab.

Click/highlight the video (mine was an .mp4 file)

Now look at the top right hand corner of the screen - the little dots - tap them

Tap 'Export'

Another box will open with apps and other boxes to choose from - you need to tap 'Open In' (it will appear in grayscale)

Scroll across until you see 'Copy to imovie'

It will start exporting

Then, when it's finished. Open up imovie

Open up your Project you are adding the video to

Under the Media tab, go to Video

Under the Video tab, go to 'iMovie Media'

And that's where your video will be!

Hoorah!

How to import direct from Dropbox?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.