Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dedicating machine to Aperture

I am wondering if anyone else is considering this option after the (future) demise of Aperture.

I have been using Aperture since v 1.0 and have no interest in converting to something else. I am almost 73 y/o and don't know how long my knees will keep me traveling and clicking. I have more macs than I care to admit to, but find that it is useful to keep some of them around and working rather than spend a fortune in programs that are no longer available or affordable. I use a G5 frequently, and have three MBP's, and a MB Air for travel. I stopped upgrading systems at Lion to avoid the hair-pulling that everyone seemed to be having with upgrades. I recently talked to the Apple Store people about upgrading at least one machine to Maverick, but in checking the compatibility lists I think I might even regret that with some of the programs I use regularly.

What I am thinking of is getting a Mac Mini with Yosemite and migrate Aperture to that, and pretty much use that just for Aperture. I think I should be able to get several years out of that approach for $700 or so. I already use my primary MBP in clamshell mode with bluetooth mouse, etc. I am really getting annoyed with the upgrades that aim to integrate our ipads and iphones with everything. It seems we take one step forward and one back for those of us who just want to do work and not be on the social media track.

Thoughts? Just doesn't seem that we have to give up something that just works well.

Bill

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 4:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2015 8:03 AM

That's exactly what I'm already doing Bill and it works well.

I have a Mac Mini which I purchased in May 2014 that only has my music & Photographs on. Everything else is on my Macbook Pro.

I've not yet installed the latest update so don't have the awful Photo's app which I have on my Macbook Pro.

I did upgrade the ram to 16GB just after I purchased it and Aperture runs like a dream so I see no point in changing.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2015 8:03 AM in response to Bill Straube

That's exactly what I'm already doing Bill and it works well.

I have a Mac Mini which I purchased in May 2014 that only has my music & Photographs on. Everything else is on my Macbook Pro.

I've not yet installed the latest update so don't have the awful Photo's app which I have on my Macbook Pro.

I did upgrade the ram to 16GB just after I purchased it and Aperture runs like a dream so I see no point in changing.

Apr 29, 2015 8:24 AM in response to combustion

Thanks for responding. I have seen much fretting that people have to do something immediately, but in reading between the lines of some pro photographers, many of them are several systems and versions behind and are continuing their professional work just fine. On these forums, people are very fast to take on the latest, and I am glad that they do that for us. But, I have always liked letting those people work through the problems that always come up. By the time they get worked out, Apple is onto the next whatever.

Re hardware, do you find that the 16G speeds up aperture? How large is your library? I think mine is around 100K now and 8G has seemed to do ok with an i7 chip. I believe you are still on Maverick, right? Do you use external editors and plugins?

I believe I will be with Yosemite. I see that even the new version of Lightroom that is suggested for the conversion from Aperture requires Yosemite. I guess I will just try to freeze at the present point. Thanks again. Bill

Apr 29, 2015 8:50 AM in response to Bill Straube

I'm on Yosemite but not the latest update that includes Photos.

My library is around 30,000 so a bit smaller than yours but I found 8Gig to be a bit sluggish on my Macbook Pro so I decided to upgrade to 16 when I moved my library across to the Mini and it makes a huge difference to the speed.

I'm currently trialling Capture One Pro 8 on my Macbook Pro in case I'm eventually forced to ditch Aperture and I must say I'm impressed with what I've seen so far. It's a huge learning curve after using Aperture since it's launch.

Apr 29, 2015 9:25 AM in response to combustion

Capture One Pro 8 is the one that interested me also. I don't know how it is re. organizing, stacks, etc., but understand it's great with image processing. I am glad to see that NIK/Google plugins have been updated to Yosemite and Aperture. I find that I use viveza 2 a lot if I really want to finish something for printing. I know that a huge number of people love Lightroom but I always found it clutzy compared to Aperture, and I have a feeling that they will force you into a subscription at some point. Some of their forums complain about the pressure to subscribe, making use difficult if you don't. I don't want to be on the cloud any more than I have to.

I guess I will have a summer project setting up another machine. We have an extended trip before then so will return with 6-8K of new images to work on

May 7, 2015 9:05 AM in response to Allan Eckert

I have a feeling I will do like Bill, ie stay with this version of Yosemite that supports Aperture on one machine (an iMac i7 with 16GB).

But for traveling, I'll continue to upgrade my MacBook Air on which I have installed Capture One which is incredible when it comes to processing RAW - and even my old JPGS. What I am now doing is "working" all my shots with Capture One (C1), then exporting them to Aperture (at least until such time Capture One comes up with an as good filing system and Slide Show (which I use extensively with iTunes) as Aperture. Doing this is simple; open a new C1 Catalogue (equivalent to an Aperture Library) for each import of new pictures, work on them, then export the files as TIFF or JPGS onto an external drive and import (referenced) them into Aperture as a new Folder. Then I can still use my old filing system and contemplate all those lovely places (and 180,000 pictures) I've been to using the Slide Show with music. And my friends who can't travel anymore love it !

Signed: A 67 year old Aperture fan and photo maniac.

Dedicating machine to Aperture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.