Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Touch 5th Gen Wifi Fine... but never at home :(

I own a 2 year old iPod 5th Gen wifi only. Since the 8.1.3 IOS update it will fail to connect with all but the newest and most up-to-date wifi routers. While traveling for my winter in Mexico I was unable to wifi connect at over 20 hotels and hotspots. Now that I am at home I see that it IS able to connect at the Apple Store's wifi, and also at Starbucks and some of my friends routers that apparently are newer than 5 years old. At my home I have a NETGEAR Wireless-N 300 router, purchased February 2010. I went to the Apple Genius people today and followed their sound advice and upgraded the firmware in my NETGEAR Wireless-N 300 router. I have tweaked and fiddled with almost everything I can imagine... but still never connects. The error this iPod gets here is the same it has given me since January when I said "yes" to the IOS update... "Incorrect Password, Cannot Connect". The ipod "see" every wifi router... just never gets past the password.

PLEASE!! Do I really have to go out and spend money on a new router just because ONE simple device, out of the 8 in our home (none Apple) will not connect?

I did:

Update Firmware on NETGEAR Wireless-N 300 router.

Reset All Network Settings on iPod

Reset All Data in iPod

Rebooted: Cable Modem, Wifi Router, iPod Touch

Tested with WEP as well as NONE under Netgear Security Options ... no help, so returned to WPA2-PSK [AES]

Maybe it's MAC ADDRESS related?

iPod touch, iOS 8.1.3, Cannot Connect to Wifi since IOS Up

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 5:12 PM

14 replies

Apr 29, 2015 6:04 AM in response to lllaass

Thank You for this response. So, Yes, while inside the Netgear GUI I did see the option for "Reset to Factory Defaults". Is that what you think might solve this? I'm assuming that this would not reset or remove yesterdays firmware up-date?

Let me state the process so that I clearly understand:

1) Leave iPod off or out of range of this Netgear wifi

2) Go into the Netgear and "Set to Factory Defaults"

3) Go into the iPod/Settings/Reset and reset Network settings.

4) Enable wifi on the iPod and try the Password... connect.

So info.. My Password is 27 characters long (don't ask why)... should I shorten this? Could this cause other problems? Again, I have been unable to log into any wifi while in Mexico, but almost always successful art Starbucks in the USA, my son-in-laws high speed Infinity, and of course the Apple stores.

Thanks Again, Would sure like to dock up and Pandora in our lovely hoe without investing my PC 🙂

Apr 29, 2015 7:02 AM in response to Kip Wylie

Resetting to factory defaults does not remove/change the firmware on the router. It just erases all setting from the router.

Not reason for 1)

Yes do 2) and 3)

before you do 4) you have to access your router and reenter all the setting

. When you do that select a short PW as a test. You can make it more complex later.

You can also try:

- Reset all settings

Go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset All Settings.

All your preferences and settings are reset. Information (such as contacts and calendars) and media (such as songs and videos) aren’t affected.

- Restore from backup. See:

iOS: Back up and restore your iOS device with iCloud or iTunes

- Restore to factory settings/new iOS device via iTunes.

Apr 29, 2015 4:34 PM in response to lllaass

Grrrrrrrr.... (still)

Tried all the NETGEAR WNR2000v2 Router re-configuration steps (restore defaults, re-set password, etc). The iPod still says to me "incorrect password, cannot connect". It easily "sees" the wifi... just does not like it.

Now I am in the process of updating the iPod software to 8.1.3, by connecting to Windows 7 PC & Itunes. Fingers crossed, but essentially frustrated and depressed because I doubt the next IOS is a fix. Through the past winter, while bored in Mexico and without a connected iPod I read another looong Apple Discussions forum string about users having this same problem.

I just find it very odd that the Genius guy at the Apple store in Tacoma had never once encountered this.

Is it a mystery to do with MAC address?

This is when I'd rather be golfing than trying to fix things.

Thanks for your help.

Kip in Tacoma

Apr 29, 2015 6:26 PM in response to Kip Wylie

And now I cannot "Restore" this iPod due to the running of "Find My iPod"... on my OFFLINE DEVICE.

Have then powered the iPod off, Have gone to my iCloud on a PC in an effort to shut off "Find My iPod"

Have failed. The is no button, or even an option to remove/delete that I can see on the iCloud web page.

I suppose this mean I need to install some more Apple software on my PC?

I have the new latest IOS. If I ever get this thing to run properly it will be the last IOS "update" I ever ruin a perfectly fine device for. None of this would have ever happened had I said No to the IOS update this past January.

Apr 30, 2015 8:40 AM in response to lllaass

OK, Tried the Recovery Mode and was able to Restore t Factory this iPod. Still did not fix this "Incorrect Password" failure.

I have about 9 devices including Kindles, Windows, Samsung, Etc all are running fine on this 5 year old NETGEAR router... but not this iPod.

OK, Question: Last year this device had a cracked screen so I did a DIY replace. I did all very very carefully without tampering with the WiFi module inside the iPod. From that day until early January '15 when I updated the IOS this iPod connected quick and easy everywhere without fail. It now will connect to routers in the Apple Store, Starbucks, and other homes which have brand new screaming fast routers. This NETGEAR router is fast enough at 6.65 Mbps. But, is there any remote chance that replacing the digitizer has bricked this iPod for wifi?

Again... This iPod will "see" the NETGEAR router almost instantly... but refuses the password consistently.

In the GUI for setting on the NETGEAR router I cannot find any way to tamper with the MAC address settings... and my suspicions are there lies the problem.

I can only recall one other tech frustration as bad as this one. And that was the week I switched out an old Compac from Win 3.1 to Win95. 🙂

Apr 30, 2015 9:21 AM in response to lllaass

OK... It just seems inconceivable that is exhibits:

1) Sees and attempts to connect to wifi, but refuses passwords?

2) Works wonderfully at routers newer than X years old (5?) i.e. Starbucks, Apple Store.

3) Worked perfectly until 2 minutes after the January 2015 IOS update?

Anyway... Thank You for all your help. At least we tried. Now I'll go shopping instead.

May 1, 2015 10:15 AM in response to Kip Wylie

I would just get a good, well-know brand of router. Make sure it supports the 5 GHz N band. To support future devices I would also get a router that support the 5 GHz ac band.

I just purchased a LinkSys tri-ban router and I get excellent connections speeds, especially with my new Mac Pro which uses the 5 GHz AC band

May 10, 2015 5:31 AM in response to lllaass

OK, I took your advice and purchased a new router. It is a Belkin N600 Dual Band N+ wifi router. In fact it is the same model router(but newer model) that my brother in CA has in his house where my iPod 5th gen worked fine 2 weeks ago (with no Apple update since). I have sent information to him for settings comparisons... mine is default factory.

Can you see from this image file if anything is messed up?

User uploaded file

May 10, 2015 6:34 AM in response to Kip Wylie

More information about new router/iPod wifi issue:

Will not connect to my primary "home" SSID (2.4ghz) which is password protected iPod consistently tells me "incorrect password try again" (same message as in almost all but a few wifis since 3 minutes after IOS update in January 2015.) ALL problems began minutes after IOS update (as soon as reboot), in all wifis I ever encountered while traveling outside of US. Never had any iPod connectivity for 4 months until I returned to US and stopped at first Starbucks wifi.

Will not connect to "home.guest" SSID (2.4 ghz) which IS NOT password protected iPod consistently tells me "unable to connect to home.guest" (same message as in almost all but a few wifis since 3 minutes after IOS update in January 2015.

WILL connect to "home.media" SSID (5.0ghz) which IS password protected. But this connection drops out if I take the iPod more than about 10 feet distance away from the router.

My son has the Apple wifi router (Air Port?) and this iPod works perfectly at his home. Am I supposed to now go out and purchase a 3rd router?

iPod Touch 5th Gen Wifi Fine... but never at home :(

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.