Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple Desktop Windows suddenly not available how do I fix this?

I changed one preference in MIssion Control System Preference - - assigning Dashboard to F5. I then noticed that when I open mission control it shows only Dashboard and 1 application desktop. Also the ways of accessing desktops have been limited to control up arrow and control down arrow. I used to be able to assign control 1, control 2, etc. or control left arrow control right arrow. How do I regain multiple desktops and more ways of accessing them? I'd be most appreciative of any insight or help. Thanks.

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), 24GB RAM/MOTU 2408 mk3 audio interface

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 5:09 PM

3 replies

Apr 28, 2015 6:29 PM in response to Stephen Siegel

I solved the problem of adding windows, but not the issue regarding how to acceess them.Among the options suggested by Finder help are:

• Press the Control key and the number key for the space you want. For example, press Control-3 to go to Desktop 3.
  • Press the Control key and an arrow key to scroll through the spaces.

Unfortunately neither of these work. How do I fix this? Thanks for your help.

Apr 29, 2015 2:50 PM in response to Stephen Siegel

Try a restart.

Do a backup, using either Time Machine or a cloning program, to ensure files/data can be recovered. Two backups are better than one.

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode

Apr 29, 2015 3:07 PM in response to Eric Root

Thanks Eric for your thoughts. I started up in Safe mode and regained the ability to move between windows using control right arrow or control left arrow. However Control 1, Control 2, Control 3 did nothing. I restarted normally: control right arrow and control left arrow no longer worked. I created another administrator account and rebooted. Right and left arrow worked. But again Control 1, Control 2, Control 3 did nothing. I logged out and logged into my usual account. Right and left arrows did not work and of course neither did Control 1, 2, or 3. I quit QuicKeys. Right and left arrow worked. I relaunched QuicKeys Right and left arrow no longer worked. Clearly there is a conflict between OS 10.8.5 and QuicKeys on this boot drive which was recently created from scratch because the backup clones all have something corrupt in the OS which has the effect of them not being able to wake from sleep mode. On those clones however all the methods of moving between windows unfailingly work with QuicKeys turned on. Strange action at a distance - - -

Again many thanks

Multiple Desktop Windows suddenly not available how do I fix this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.