Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air 13" 2015 - Install Windows 7 64bit

I understand Apple does not supply Bootcamp drivers for Windows 7 64bit to work with MacBook Air 2015 model.

Has anybody tried to install it anyway either using the Boot Camp drivers for Windows 8.1 or any other method.

Our company uses a Windows 7 Enterprise image and isn't ready for Windows 8.1.

We have been buying MacBook Air 13" as main notebook and configuring it without a Mac OS X partition. ie boots straight into Windows 7

Without Windows 7 support the business won't buy any more MacBook Air.

Want to know if possible otherwise have to go back to HP/Dell which I am sure staff won't apprieciate.

MacBook Air, Windows 7

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 5:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 11:10 PM

Very similar discussion at Bootcamp 5.1.4 and Windows 7. Use EFI boot to install W7 64-bit. Do not use W7 32-bit under any circumstances.

10 replies

Oct 13, 2015 3:00 PM in response to VikingBrad

I ran into this problem too and did some digging.

Bootcamp 5.1.2 that shipped with OSX 10.8.x in 2014 supported Win7. If you use a Win 7 install bootdisk on such a system the boot manager will show TWO entries: "windows" and "efi boot". Clicking on "windows" would correct boot from the bootdisk and launch the setup program. Clicking on "efi boot" does NOT launch the setup from the bootdisk, it just boots Windows from the hard drive, if there is one, otherwise it just give you a black screen.

Now, in 2015, Bootcamp 5.1.4 that shipped with OSX Yosemite and Bootcamp 6.0 that ships with El Capitan don't work with Win 7. They don't even let you create a Win 7 bootdisk. If you try to use an old Win 7 bootdisk that you might have lying around, the bootmanager shows only ONE entry: "efi boot". Here again, clicking on this entry does nothing, it just gives you a black screen.

So, I think the issue isn't with Bootcamp itsef. Rather, a) Win 7 boot disks don't work with "efi boot", they apparently need the old style boot process, b) in the newer 2015 Macs the older boot process has been removed and only "efi boot" is present.

As far as I could figure out, there is no way to use Win 7 on the newer Macs. I just decided to throw in the towel and install Win 10.

Dec 10, 2015 2:09 PM in response to sprahul

I don't want to derail this thread (should I start a new one?). I'm also in the market for a MacBook Air, 2015. Besides OS X, I want to install Windows 7 and various Linux distros on it as well.

As I understand (I'm new to the Mac ecosystem), both Windows 7 and Linux are unsupported operating systems; I disable secure boot and I'm basically good to go; the process is basically the same both for Windows 7 and Linux. Correct?

The question is, will drivers provided by Microsoft (from the 7 install and upgrade process) be as good as, if not better, than legacy drivers from Apple.com?

The other question about the Windows 7 install process is, should I install

- just the important updates

- the optional updates as well?

You know, on this screen:

User uploaded file

Is the 2015 MacBook Air actually a decent Windows 7 box? Or should I bite the bullet and get on with windows 10, as the 2015 MacBook Air is so much better at running Windows 10 than 7?

Macbook Air 13" 2015 - Install Windows 7 64bit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.